Perfecting My Second Home Blend... Need Advice!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Okay gang, I’m working on finishing up my second home blend. It’s a mix of two Virginias, DFK, and Perique.
I’m wanting to add a nice bourbon to it, but I’m not sure how to go about it. I’m thinking that I’ll mix all the tobaccos together good, then mist them with a nice bourbon (maybe Maker’s Mark) until the mix is good and wet. Seal it and let it sit for a day. Open it and let it dry to slightly moist, then repeat the bourbon application again, and again letting it dry to a mild “tin moist.”
After this it’s going into my cheap little home-made press for a couple weeks.
What I’m totally flying by the seat of my pants on is the application of the bourbon. What I’ve detailed in the second paragraph is a total WAG, and is where I need the help / advice. Can anyone mentor me with the whiskey application? I’m not wanting a bourbon-bomb, but I want just a bit more of a liquor hit than I taste with Black Frigate, and a little less than I get from Haddo’s Delight (both blends I could never achieve, just using them as examples). Not looking to make this an aromatic as I’m personally not a fan of aro’s - no offense meant to any of you aro fans.
Any help much appreciated!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Why ruin good tobacco by pouring bourbon on it? If that's what you want, buy a pouch of Borkhum Riff. On a serious note, if your base tobacco is good, I'd go with Rum if I put anything on it and do it lightly. Just a totally uneducated opinion.

Jan 8, 2013
I’m thinking that I’ll mix all the tobaccos together good, then mist them with a nice bourbon (maybe Maker’s Mark) until the mix is good and wet. Seal it and let it sit for a day. Open it and let it dry to slightly moist, then repeat the bourbon application again, and again letting it dry to a mild “tin moist.”
That's pretty much how I do it with rum. I use Captain Morgan Black. I see no reason why doing it with bourbon wouldn't achieve good results.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
That's pretty much how I do it with rum. I use Captain Morgan Black. I see no reason why doing it with bourbon wouldn't achieve good results.
Awesome! Thank you sir.
Dumb question: is this called a topping or a casing? I’ve read about the two processes but I’m still a bit confused about them - heh!
Also, do you get your mix(es) sopping wet with alcohol, or just moist?

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
That'd be a topping. As in the topping mizzen sail. Casing comes earlier. And not a dumb question in the least.
Thank you sir! Had to look up a ‘topping mizzen’ sail, and quickly just closed the browser :D

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like you're headed in the same direction as Bourbon Bleu. Proceed sir, proceed!
Bourbon Bleu

In this equally memorable blend, bright and red Virginias are mixed with just the right amount of dark-fired Kentucky and long-cut Perique, then married together with bourbon before being press to form an old-fashioned crumble cake.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I think if I were to top a tobacco with a spirit, I would burn off the alcohol.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
You could also try infusing the whiskey into the tobacco. Place a shot glass or something with whiskey into the tobacco container. A better way is to find a container with a screen like bottom and put the whiskey below this so they sit on top of one another.
McClelland placed a small chunk of whiskey barrel stave inside tins of a couple of blends. I wonder if you could soak a piece of oak in a similar manner?
Mike S.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Mike Stanley: interesting; I hadn’t thought of that. If this batch doesn’t work out, I’ll give the infusion method a whirl. I could certainly cut a few small chunks of oak and soak them, then cellar age a non-pressed mix with a chunk of the soaked wood.
Thank you for the idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.