PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
I've found a few reviews here of Peretti blends. More thoughts on them generally? Seems to me that they are very old school but...is their tobacco their own? Surely it is merely blended by them? But I don't know. Curious if anyone knows more of how, well, I guess original, unique, they are.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Famous blends from this 19th century US blender: Cuban mixture, Tashkent, Royal, British.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Well, Perettis is a 19th century smoke shop and blender. They have produced many of the same blends throughout their history. As a small shop they source their leaf from larger vendors such as McClellands now Sutliff and others but they blend and process the leaf to their own specifications in store. Same goes for top dressings, sauces, etc. So when you buy a pound of Cuban mixture, for instance, you’re not getting reskined 1q, which I believe was at the root of your query.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I have not had the blends since McClelland closed, but prior to this they had some really solid Virginia flakes and a few other great blends. I am sure they are still good, I just haven't had occasion to order from them lately.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I'm a big fan of Peretti's blends. Cuban Mixture and Park Square are incredible. I always pick up their tasty Holiday offerings. Many of the aromatics are also terrific.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Fairly new pipe smoker here. I had ordered all my tobaccos online thus far, but discovered Peretti's on this forum, and I'm just north of Boston.
I was in town last night to see Elvis Costello, and before the show I made a trip to the shop.
I picked up an ounce each of Blend 102 and Boston's Best Cavendish. Just tried the 102, and really liked it. Definitely an old-fashioned note and flavor to me, which is right up my alley. I'll buy more of this.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Smoking some of their Park Square at this moment. I've been a fan for years, ever since I ducked into the shop on a rainy October walk through the Common quite a few more years than I care to mention ago. They have wonderful, old world tobacco, you won't get anything as grand as Royal or Tashkent from anyone else. As well, they have high quality , old fashioned aromatics and top notch burley blends, like No. 52 (Burley, Red Virginia and Dubek, delicious). Check out their lineup, pick a couple and try a few ounces. My bet is you'll find a blend you'll go back to for life.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A generous Forums member sent me a few samples including two Peretti blends, Thanksgiving Day and their classic burley, maybe it's 502. Both were excellent. I'm saving a little of the Thanksgiving Day for the actual holiday.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Only GH and SG come in lower than Peretti. Both are a great value of which I freely availed myself. Escudo was the only tinned tobacco that I spent a lot of money on. Had I liked Peretti I would have been fine with the price. Pease at ~$70.00 always seemed a steal.

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
I have a few jars of a few blends I ordered and enjoy them all. Also might have gotten them in the McC era. Regardless, recommended. Not new wave blends though you're right. Old school classic tastes.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I love Blend 333. I did notice once that McClelland's went out of business that some of Peretti's flakes disappeared. There was one that had wine in it I believe. Those blends were on my list of must trys but now they are gone. I do highly recommend Blend 333 as an incredible burley blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Peretti's has a special place, along with Iwan Ries, in the Pantheon of tobacconists, just something about the long history and tradition. These places, and a few others, retain an institutional memory of when pipe smoking was a staple of the culture not a throw-back.

Status
Not open for further replies.