PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No, not even an electric percolator pot, a stovetop model, often sold only in camping equipment shops. I prefer it to French drip, French press, filter machines, etc. It's got to be burbled up through the little glass dome on low, or it just isn't my style. When I mentioned this in a post years ago, I think it was numbersix who responded, "Dad, is that you?" This morning I upped my water level to the six cup mark, which by my measure is more like three good sized cups, and it finally filled the bill. It's a smallish pot, not a full size family version. I know it's quirky, but other coffee, though tasty, is not the same. Right now we're into Chock Full o' Nuts French roast blend, but my wife likes some of the small roasting outfits locally, when I have time to make those errands. Anyone perc' their brew?

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I love percolator coffee and your post caused me to get off my chair in the garage to look on the shelves for it. It's got to be in here somewhere...

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At the expense of sounding extra eccentric, I like my perc coffee so well, I check hardware stores and catalogs from time to time to make sure they still sell these. I do have a larger family size pot, but my wife likes French press coffee which I happily make for her, our morning ritual. I'm hoping there will be a trend revival of perc coffee so good quality pots are available. Naturally, they've gotten a tad pricey, for a nice stainless steel version with a properly fitting dome. Aluminum versions are less good.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Thanks a lot mso. Now, since I can't seem to find mine (cheapo), I'll be on Amazon making a purchase for a top of the line percolator - because I need it.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
MSO, eBay has a few of varous types, but none of the old Corning Ware as I remember my parents having. None new either.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
How do they compare to using a French press as far as taste.
Of course, it all depends on individual tastes, but I prefer french press to percolator and I definitely prefer stove top espresso (sometimes called a mocha maker) to french press.
I just can't afford a decent real espresso machine :(

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess French press is one of the current coffee experts' favorites, for getting all the essence out of a brew, perhaps a bit like a Meerschaum pipe. For me, a percolator adds a kind of earthy tone that adds a lot.

Reactions: indoeuro

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
instymp, when I was tiny but just old enough to remember, my parents, sister and I lived in a tiny house, and they made cowboy coffee, just throwing the grounds in the pot, not even a sock for the grounds, and threw egg shells in on top. With a "fancy" perc basket you don't need the egg shells as much, and I don't use them. I do put a little milk in mine to cut the acidic flavor. My wife also does espresso, but of the several versions of coffee, I like perc the best. Right now I'm drinking the remains of a Starbuck bought when running errands -- acceptable but over-roasted (to me) as always. McDonalds makes a fine cup of regular coffee; it doesn't have quite the bouquet of home percolated, but it is about next best. No question, my taste in coffees is highly specific and personal. Never any sugar or other sweetener.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
I use a percolator when I take a break from hunting back at the truck. A good coffee to try in a percolator is "Kicking Horse". Here is a link for some down home stove top coffee makers. https://www.lehmans.com/search?w=percolator

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I am a coffee fiend and, for the last decade or so, I must admit, a coffee snob.
I've made coffee every way I could find and have settled on the press for the best taste for me.
I do still have the ol' perk pot for camping. Perk is difficult to master without "scorching". Some like that slight scorch and, I admit, I enjoyed it back in the day.
Army coffee set the quality bar pretty low, so I can drink some atrocious stuff if need be. I WILL get my fix.... :twisted:
jay-roger.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I own 3...dont use them a whole lot now. Used to use them a good deal in the past, grew up with all my great-aunt and uncles drinking from it and thought if it didn't come from a percolator, it wasn't coffee. I'd use it now, but I have one of those glass cook tops in this house I bought and they just don't work the same.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Chock Full o' Nuts! That takes me back a day or two. That always used to be our trail/camp/hunting coffee. Like MSO says, just the grounds and water cooked in the pot. That's a good, chewy cup of coffee right there. I don't know anything about army coffee, but I've been on a steady diet of airplane coffee for about 25 years now. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but I will say I can now drink the tap water in Mexico with no ill effects.

Reactions: saintpeter

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I only use percolator. But the electric kind. I prefer it to anything else. We make it strong and put a little powdered cinnamon in with the grounds and it's amazing.

Reactions: cornedbeef
Status
Not open for further replies.