PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Espresso here, every day. Peet's Italian Roast.
The fad of "pour over" makes me laugh, as it was how we made coffee 50 years ago. Good then, good now, but not worth a premium.
French press is good; Aeropress better, though it pretty much makes just one cup at a time.
Percolating? Had four or five machines over 30 years or so, and would happily taste another cup or two, but not going to purchase one for the nostalgia ride.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whatever my problems in life may be or may have been, no one has ever accused me of being a hipster. Even when I was remotely the right age, I was the wrong age.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I use French Press, but I’m buying one of those stove top Perks after reading your post MSO.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
perdurabo, I like the small six cup size for just me, while I make French press for my wife. The smaller perk heats faster, and I can make it strong with less beans and water. I think the Chinese stainless steel ones are good at their price.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
It's been years and years since I had percolated coffee. Can't really say I miss it. Nowadays it's a french press at work and a chemex or kalita pour over at home. But like we say with tobacco, drink what you enjoy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yup, do it your way. For those who'd like to revisit or get introduced to perk coffee, but want to sample it first, a flea market or antique store pot might serve the purpose, and depending on its condition, it could be a keeper. For those, I'd definitely try for a stove-top model, since electric units used are iffy.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
MSO promoting the estate perk scene... haha!
and depending on its condition, it could be a keeper.
I draw the line at having to retort my coffee maker! :oops:
Happy Friday to all.
jay-roger.jpg

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I have very fond memories of my mom making Maxwell House percolated coffee for herself and my dad on the gas stove ... the smell was intoxicating. I still recall the taste which, to this day, I've not experienced again. Just nothing like it.
I no longer drink much coffee, having moved on to whole leaf teas.

Reactions: cornedbeef

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
Perc coffee is some of the better I've had. I like my stovetop espresso. But yes, I really enjoy well made percolated coffee.
Cafe Bustelo in a perc around a fire is a wonderful thing.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Haven't used a percolator in years, my daily coffee fix comes from a Bunn pour over sometimes on the weekend I'll break out a vacuum pot, that is when I'm not having expresso :D

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Finally got around to trying this percolator...

This one is weird because the basket screws into the top lid for a basket cover, and all of that then screws into the pitcher.

But the top also has a spout for poring, so when it comes to a boil, if its not caught right away, it boils over.

Once it is percolating, its also letting off a ton of steam, even at reduced temp.

I used too much coffee, had to mess with the temperature forever, but I did end up with (super strong) coffee.
IDK that it will replace our stainless steel, double walled, French press carafe ( pictured on the left, a thing of genius, btw), but I'll keep trying it occasionally and see if I can get it right.

0rSQD9G.jpg

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I drink coffee all day long, so I got one of those 30 cup percolators that you see at office parties and such.

I grind my own coffee a bag at a time (usually Colombian) in one of those big grinders like I used to see in the grocery stores.

It perks the coffee to a nice consistency and turns itself off, leaving me and my wife to drink it at our leisure over the next day or so with a minimum of fuss.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Definitely not for someone who is prone to the Java jitters. (Grin!)

I like my coffee strong, sweet and light. Good genes, maybe, but it’s generally my beverage of choice right up until bedtime.☕

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sooner or later there will be a fad resurgence of percolator coffee brewing, and I fear the prices on pots will go way high. This isn't everyone's brew, but if you like it, it is a top notch brew, a little richer and more "organic" tasting than some other methods. Also, the simplicity of a stovetop perc pot really appeals to me, no filters or fiddling and easy clean-up. My folks in the 1940's weren't all wrong. As another member said when i first posted this, "Dad, is that you?"

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Sooner or later there will be a fad resurgence of percolator coffee brewing ...

I certainly hope so. After a recent move, I looked all over hell for a percolator. Department stores, even hardware stores. I finally found a few electric percolators at a Sears store in the death throes of liquidation. I grabbed two of them; one's still in the box, a spare in stow, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.