PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Is it just me? It seems to me the new site is bringing out a lot of new posters that I have not seen before or at least in a long time. Don't take this wrong, I think it's good. I didn't know so many people lurked out there. I better watch what I say a little closer.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah, I feel like I’ve been seeing a lot of new folks which is awesome but with that comes the stubborn old timers that are complaining about every little new thing (emojis anyone?) and some are going so far as to boycott the new and updated site. People are weird man.

Site overhauls as big as these take time to get all the little bugs and quirks ironed out but I think they’ve done an outstanding job thus far and it’s only gonna get better from here on out.

Reactions: seanv

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
It’s always good for new members to join and contribute. It’s unfortunate that some old members are boycotting the site but it is their choice. This update is fantastic

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Wait! Did I miss something? Are you saying I'm supposed to be boycotting the new site? Nobody told me. Why am I always the last to know.
No no no... old-timers in the sense that they’ve been a member here for a long time, not that they are old per se, although a lot of the old-timers just happened to be old-timers as well.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
M

Marindas

As someone who was waiting for the upgrade to join, I have followed this forum for several years, and learned a lot from its members. I considered joining several times previously, but there were always two technical issues that, for me, held me back. One was the age of the software, it was designed before mobile devices were the mainstay of accessing the Internet and the user interface was clunky. The other was a lack of encryption during authentication (SSL/TLS support).

With the new site, the first issue went away and I understand from one of Kevin's posts that the second will be addressed soon. That was enough to get me off the sidelines and create an account. Now when someone posts information that I find useful, I can thank them.

Loving the new site and its features!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
As someone who was waiting for the upgrade to join, I have followed this forum for several years, and learned a lot from its members. I considered joining several times previously, but there were always two technical issues that, for me, held me back. One was the age of the software, it was designed before mobile devices were the mainstay of accessing the Internet and the user interface was clunky. The other was a lack of encryption during authentication (SSL/TLS support).

With the new site, the first issue went away and I understand from one of Kevin's posts that the second will be addressed soon. That was enough to get me off the sidelines and create an account. Now when someone posts information that I find useful, I can thank them.

Loving the new site and its features!
Well, we’re glad to have you. Welcome aboard!

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Hell, even I stopped by during my bi-weekly crawl out from under the rock. I like what's been done with the place. There are a couple of little irritants, but the improvements far outweigh them in my opinion ("@" replies? Hell yeah!) and it sounds like most of the rest is being worked on. So, I'm stoked overall.

Yeah, I feel like I’ve been seeing a lot of new folks which is awesome but with that comes the stubborn old timers that are complaining about every little new thing (emojis anyone?) and some are going so far as to boycott the new and updated site. People are weird man.
I get it ...

The old site was familiar, comfy, quick'n'easy to navigate. This one is just new and strange. I keep bumping into walls, tripping over things ... and where the hell are the bathrooms?! That's it! Me, my scraped shins and my bursting bladder are outta here!!!

That's just a knee-jerk reaction though. Hopefully, those guys will re-think once the "shock of the new" wears off. To me, the biggest value of the PipesMag forums vs. any other online resource has always been that it is home to the single greatest online collection of members that actually know their shit. I'd hate to see that change simply because someone rearranged the living room.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
To be fair, I sensed a good many new members (clown or no) introducing themselves in the days before the upgrade.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I keep bumping into walls, tripping over things ...
You are familiar with PSD though right? I know I don’t see you there often, but you’re rarely in any of the forums these days. Anyway, anyone that is familiar with PSD should have no problem making their way around here as it is essentially the same layout now. Besides, change is the only constant, you would think the older ya get the more you would accept that but the opposite is true for most folk.

Reactions: jpberg and piffyr

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
You are familiar with PSD though right? I know I don’t see you there often, but you’re rarely in any of the forums these days. Anyway, anyone that is familiar with PSD should have no problem making their way around here as it is essentially the same layout now. Besides, change is the only constant, you would think the older ya get the more you would accept that but the opposite is true for most folk.
I lurk like a mofo, buddy! ;)

But yeah, I was being a little facetious. Just trying to demonstrate the mindset of those that might be a little unduly upset about the changes. Like I said, I completely digging it. The old site had the feeling of a small company intranet designed by an intern over the summer.

Reactions: hawky454
Status
Not open for further replies.