PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I always thought Penzance was the C&D Captain Bob's Blend to Margate's Captain Black Grape? Was I misinformed?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Pickles taste nothing like cucumbers! No way pickles could have started out as a cucumber, they’re not even in the same league. Gah!
I have heard from multiple reliable sources that pickles used to be cucumbers. All pickles are made by the same farmer that makes cucumbers, they just have a different name now that they have been re-marketed. :lol:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have heard from multiple reliable sources that pickles used to be cucumbers. All pickles are made by the same farmer that makes cucumbers, they just have a different name now that they have been re-marketed. :lol:

:rofl: Ahhhh people are a funny breed. Pipe smoking people are an even funnier breed. Gotta love it.

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Will people soon be trading Penzance for “vintage” Orlik Nightcap? I know, I’m being a wisea$$.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
To each his own. Funny though, I enjoy all those tobacco’s mentioned but Penzance is my favorite of the bunch.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Premal Chheda recently told my friend and co-author Mike Zicha that Penzance is Margate pressed into a crumble cake. My guess is that this is based upon the fact that Smokers' Haven's Krumble Kake was their Our Best Blend (similar to Margate) in crumble cake form. I laid this out in an article in the June 2019 issue of The Pipe Collector, entitled A "Spirited" Battle of English Blends where we examined whether Smokers' Haven Cognac and Esoterica Pembroke were actually the same tobaccos.
Those of you who follow Marty Pulvers' fantastic estate pipe site, pulverspriorbriar.com, will likely soon see Marty roasting Mike and I over our findings. Marty is a smart and witty fellow. His writings are always fun and interesting and well-written, making regular trips to his website well worth the time, even when he's having fun at my expense.

Reactions: rushx9
Oct 7, 2016
Steve Richman specifically denied, in my presence and that of others at the first show where he distributed samples, that any of the Esoterica blends were “identical” to the Smokers Haven blends. All he ever claimed was that some were “similar.” My memory is that he said that Germain, while not doing business with SH at that time, respected their Intellectual property interest in the development of the recipes and would not make exact duplicates for anybody. There very well might have been some degree of “tweaking” that GLP and the other initial tasters contributed.
The few shops that I recall who really supported Esoterica in the 1990’s sold at least as much Margate as Penzance. Stonehaven moved slowly. After a few years, very few if any shops carried the full line, though if you wanted a bag of St.Ives they would order it. Steve and, later, Mike Butera were pretty flexible with minimum order requirements or so I recall.

Reactions: oldtoby

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Why does this matter so much? They all are whatever they are and they are all fantastic blends. When I get upgraded to first class I don't ask questions about how it happened. I just get on and enjoy the ride.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We cracked open a 10 year old tin of Stonehaven today at a Boswells get-together. I'll take Stonehaven over Penzance 10 ways from Sunday. That medicine/menthol flavor doesn't do anything for me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why does this matter so much? They all are whatever they are and they are all fantastic blends.
It really doesn't, except for that 1% who have an interest in the history of pipes and tobaccos. If I had to choose between Premal and GLP for information in this particular instance, I'm more inclined toward GLP for the obvious reason that he was involved in the process as a taster/crash test dummy, and Premal wasn't involved. The people who could answer any of these questions are Germain's, and they aren't talking.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pretty tight lipped, those Brits on the Isles. And they don't like folks faffing about with their products!
Steve Richman would be another solid source, but even if some Esoterica blends were exact matches to some of Smoker's Haven's, it might have been prudent to not say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.