PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I love that I have some dry, good aged Penzance. I give it to every pipe smoker I meet who hasn't tried it yet. I don't care enough to worry about getting more, so I get new junkies hooked on it and hunting for it so they leave the more readily available tobaccos alone and don't drive my price up and availability down.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I smoked a few bowls of Penzance, thanks to a generous forum member who posted in this thread already. It's a very smooth Balkan style blend, better than any I've had. I will say that I like Russ's H&H White Knight almost as much, and it's readily available, unlike the Esoterica blends.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It makes a great mixer for caramel or chocolate aros though, so no loss! Aged Margate is great!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
For those interested, I called Uhles today in Wisconsin, they don't have Penzance or Stonehaven, but they do have some other Esoterica blends in tins and bags.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Jpm nailed it. Penzance is a fine blend but Margate is my favorite Eso. And yes, all their blends are very damp and require plenty of dry time. I only say this now that my cellar is saturated with Margate. :puffy:

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
After trying Penzance I decided I no longer want others opinion on anything tobacco/pipe related and set off on my own adventure of discovery.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
The only ET blend I like is Penz. Price is of no concern for me as I love the stuff. Thank you scalpers.The rest of ET's blends? No thanks.
Stonehaven on a very rare occasion.
There's only 2 blends where I love the aftertaste, the leftover smell on my stash' and the room-note, Penz and Bengal Slices

franklyn22

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
I've had the same experience. It's like that with any hobby really. There is always some "unicorn" that people are chasing because of it's rarity but when you finally get ahold of it, it's a big let down. I went through this just last weekend with bourbon. I was fascinated by the single barrel variety ever since I visited the Buffalo Trace Distillery and started looking for Blanton's. It is easier to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I pretty much lost all hope of ever trying a bottle when my local store gets in about 6 bottles (1 case) twice a year and he has about a 4 page long waiting list.
Then for no particular reason, I was traveling to my brother-in-law's house the other day and wanted to pick up some beer. I stopped at literally a highway truck stop liquor store in the middle of nowhere in the nearest town to his home (he lives in the boonies) and they had 2 bottles of Blanton's sitting on the shelf for normal price. Needless to say I bought both of them. When I finally cracked it open with my brother-in-law, it was really good bourbon but not really any better than anything else in that price range. So to each his own I guess.
What I learned from all of this is to never chase the unicorns. I just wait and if I come across the opportunity to buy it under normal prices and conditions, I will happily try it but I won't pay ebay prices for the unicorns anymore.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
In my esoterica thread many people said they buy esoterica just to make sure others will not get it. So shortages bring out the worst in human nature basically. I still wasnt able to find anything because I live in Australia and the drops happen at 4 am and local BMs only hold over the counter aromatics.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Penzance is a very nice tobacco, and I rather enjoy it; however, I've been saying for years its the most overrated tobacco ever. While I enjoy it, it's not worth the hassle of trying to hunt it down on every website and/or B&M shop. It's especially not worth the amount of money people buy/sell for on ebay.
If you come across a tin at regular price, grab it but don't waste your time hunting all over for it. It's good but not that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.