PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
There is no substitute man. It has to be sampled to be believed. It will be the most incredible experience of your entire life

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
Go out back and dig up a little dirt and smoke it,bet that be close.lol

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
We can't get Penzance here in the UK but according to Germains the closest equivalent is 1820 Mxt or Special Latakia Flake. The SLF is good stuff,not tried the 1820. :puffpipe:
Tom

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Go out back and dig up a little dirt and smoke it,bet that be close.lol

I get a more charred steak flavour than dirt, when I'm craving dirt I light up a bowl of Classic Samsun, which I find is very very earthy.
@gwynclan - If you've yet to try Lady P, PM me and I'll send a couple flakes your way.

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
I agree that American Patriot is not similar. I'll stick my neck out to say that C&D Pirate Kake, though more of Lat Bomb, is a bit close albeit lacking refinement and nuances found in Penzance. I thouroughly enjoy all three of these blends, but Penzance definately reigns supreme to me.

Jul 12, 2011
Nope, haven't found one yet...go for the original / thrill of the hunt

continues...when u can score, score at least 2-8oz bags at a time and stock up ;-)

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
One of my favorites BECAUSE, to my palate, the taste is unique. For example, lots of English blends are in the same family for me -- Squadron Leader and Presbyterian, for example.
But Penzance doesn't -- to me -- seem similar to anything.

rock

Lurker
Nov 14, 2011
Penzance up until maybe two weeks ago was available at many internet stores. Some had it in stock for a week, some for nearly two. You have to keep an eye open and grab it quick while it's around. I posted here a few weeks ago that it was available.

Jul 15, 2011
I think a lot of the reason that Penzance carries the flavor profile that it does is because when you open a tin/bag, the tobacco has already had a long time to mature. I would imagine that any blend with roughly the same leaf components, given the proper time to age and mature, might take on a similar flavor profile to Penzance, but whether or not you can actually match the flavor to a T is something that Im sure is very difficult, if not impossible.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I dont see what all the hype of this blend is. I know everyone has different tasts and all but this one did nothing for me.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you are looking for lots of latakia, you might want to try C&D Star of the East Flake, or Ten Russians from Hermit Tobacco. Both of them fit that bill. MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian also has a ton of latakia, and is quite different from any of the others.
I really don't try to compare different blends - I smoke 'em and enjoy 'em - or don't - for what they are, by my standards. Now, I might compare 2 blends by the same blender - for example, I recently smoked both Balkan I & Balkan II by Altadis, and certainly compared them.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Pipe Novelist, I disagree with your "time to mature" theory. Penzance, and all other Jersey tobaccos, go in and out of the door very quickly.
To the OP, try some H&H Ten to Midnight, a close flavor approximation that is readily available. On a sad side note, it wasn't too long ago that you could buy Penzance, Special Latakia Flake, Krumble Kake, SH Anniversary, Exotique, and Our Best Blend very easily. All shared the Germain DNA and spirit.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I've tried most all the suggested alternates, and GL Pease- Quiet Nights is in the same family. Ten Russians is a lot stronger, American Patriot is off by a long shot. Plum Pudding is sometimes suggested, but I've tried it repeatedly and it's just not quite right. Penzance mixes very well with alot of blends so if you want to milk it out for all its worth, try it.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
@Hobie1dog
Quite right mate. I recieved about 1.5-2oz in a trade and I am just finishing it off. I do like it when I layer it with Drum. Matter of fact, I like it alot that way. lol
Penzance mixes very well with alot of blends so if you want to milk it out for all its worth, try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.