PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An email from PC says Butz-Choquin pipes are out of business and has their remaining stock on sale at 20% off, but most are out of stock, and some not labeled that way, when you click on them, are said to be no longer available. But the prices are good if you can find one in stock. This is a really sad note, one of the great old names in French pipes, to me a moniker of moderate price and exemplary quality. French pipes actually set the traditions for both French and the much admired English pipes, in addition to making briar the go-to pipe material. I have two or three BC pipes, and I always enjoy them. I especially lament the loss to new pipe smokers who can get a fine pipe at a working guy's or gal's price, that will last most of their life with a little care. It's a sad day. Thank you to BC and its owners and crafts people for their contribution to the grand tradition of pipe making.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Boy, I hope this doesn't portend closure of various other pipe brands. Not only did BC make good pipes by my lights, but they distributed them widely and had them on most tobacco pipe retail sites. If they go down, who else might drop out of sight? Also, they made good looking pipes that still had some dash and design. This is a troubling indicator.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
French pipes have always been too small for any practical use for me, but sad news nonetheless.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Egypt has that market cornered.

2316a99e9c5960f781b391cafb5f34fe.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lemme see, what were we talking about. Oh, chasing', I never thought of BC pipes as Group 1 or 2, more large Group 3 or small Group 4 -- at least my billiards bent and straight. The straight is a full Group 4 for sure. Maybe some of the line is smaller. The French outfit EWA makes mostly small, like 2 and 3.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of my pipes are what would be sized as Group 4, and I have some biggies, 5 and 6 and maybe 6-plus. The small ones, Group 1, 2, and 3, were the last I tried, and I was surprised. With flake, coin, plug or rope, you can get a full 30 minutes or more to fill that time window, if you want. I also smoke bigger pipes intermittently, if I know I'll be smoking on and off. Small pipes work for sampling at pipe shows, pipe clubs, pipe shops, etc. I thought of small pipes as souvenirs or toys, but I've been won over. They are easy on the old jaw and teeth too. I think I use my one or two huge pipes least.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Mso nailed it. BC pipes, at least the ones I’ve seen or have, were made better than their price would imply.

My first pipe was a BC. Sad to see them go.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe brands do come and go, and some great ones faded long ago. It's just that right now, every closing seems like a bad omen.

Status
Not open for further replies.