Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our featured interview on tonight's Pipes Magazine Radio Show is with Dan Spaniola of Paul’s Pipe Shop in Flint MI. His father, Dan Spaniola, founded the store in 1928. He passed in 2013 at 100-years old. Word has it that there are around 1-million pipes in inventory - in tons of boxes in the basement, as well as on display in the store. They also have a “pipe hospital” and a pipe museum as part of the iconic store. They also make their own brand of oil-cured Cayuga Pipes. There’s a ton of amazing pipe history here. In our opening segment, Brian will have a review of his trip last week, and pipe smoking on the trip.
Paul-Spaniola-725.jpg

chuckamok

Lurker
Apr 29, 2019
Last week, I got to visit Dan Spaniola on a business trip to Flint, MI. Because of this podcast, I sought out Paul's Pipe Shop, and it did not disappoint! After purchasing a Cuyuga pipe, Dan gave me a bag of Arrowhead Pipe Club blend, and I smoked it in the back of the store. When I told him that I had heard him on the show with Brian, he offered to show me the pipe museum on the second floor. It was amazing! I could have spent much longer there looking at the collection, but I felt bad taking up so much of Dan's time. In the course of our conversation, I asked him a question about making the Cayuga's, and he then took me down to the basement to tour his workshop, and then his tobacco blending room! Wow--what a generous man! He must have spent 45 minutes with me, even though he has never-ending work to do at the shop. I will definitely return to the shop whenever I am in the area. Thanks so much for interviewing Dan on the show, so that I knew to look for this treasure.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Dan is a good guy, and the shop is amazing. The stories I have heard indicated that Paul would never buy a dozen of something if he could get a good deal on a gross. I was in there last week - there are canisters of the old Theodorus Niemeyer version of Sail on the shelf. Lord knows how old those are...

Status
Not open for further replies.