PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I have just gotten a pipe that may be one of Paul Fischer's meerschaums. It is a bent billiard, just a plain pipe with no carving.It came in one of his cases, but has no markings, a wet finger sticks to the bowl so I am assuming it's genuine block meerschaum, it has a plastic yellow stem.

Here's a question for those of you who may own a Paul Fischer meerschaum or are familiar with these pipes:

the tenon screw appears to be made of some sort of hard plastic. The little info that I have been able to find concerning Paul Fischer pipes states that he used bone screws. Was there a period in his pipe making when he was using hard plastic screws? The mortise bushing is a softer plastic, and the ramp from drilling the draft hole is visible under the bushing. Any ideas on the screw being correct?

Thank you

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
One thing about meerschaum pipes: if they're in a fitted case, that is, one where the case is shaped like a pipe, it should fit exactly; cases were made for each individual pipe. If it IS that pipe shape, and yet the pipe isn't an exact fit, it's almost certainly the wrong pipe for the case.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Thanks, Jonas, that's a good point. The PF cases are rectangular, so they're not fitted, they're the same case for many pipes. Found some good info from Fred on the other site.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.