PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Thanks for sharing. I'm currently in seminary and smoke with a few fellow seminarians. Very relaxing way to work through the things discussed in our classes.
Keep strong, brother.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
To those of you who wear the cloth, I'll take a knee and bow before you.
It's difficult enough to conduct one's own life in a gracious, courteous and humane manner. But to lead a congregation towards salvation? Ahhh, no thanks.
As a salesman, any day I go to bed without having having beaten an incompetent sales engineer or a reluctant customer to death with an office chair is a good day. Having to carry the additional trials and tribulations of hundreds of others would drive me mad.
You chosen few walk on water. And you help keep me sane.
God bless and protect you and yours.
Fnord

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
My father is a pipe smoking pastor...
I graduated from Yale Divinity but chose teaching (psychology, philosophy, history) instead of preaching...
My father just told me this evening that he used to go into the "owl shop" in New Haven and ask for the blend professor Rowan Greer smoked...

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
The calming and reflective aspect of pipe smoking has great value. I was a career infantry officer until a few years ago who spent well over a decade in what many consider "elite" units. Throughout that time I've seen and done some things that don't synchronize well with the everyday lives of most people. Pipe smoking helps slow the world down and bring perspective back into focus.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
My father is a Byzantine Catholic priest, and he and his priest-friends call pipe smoking, "offering incense"... I get a kick out of that! :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A pipe can be a significant solace, a time to touch base with yourself while not forgetting others. A pipe can slow one down enough to gain some perspective.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I nearly went to the seminary but I suspect I would have turned out like Father Jack Hackett of Father Ted fame so probably I did the Almighty a favor in that regard!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Speaking of C.S. Lewis and his ilk, I like the character "Father Brown" by G.K. Chesterton. He is everything a good religious leader should be.
And good luck to you all... the world has its ills and a good pipe helps open up the mind. With that thought, I'm going to load up a bowl of Three Nuns.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
Well said, deathmetal! I too enjoy Chesterton's Father Brown, and, complimentary to that, the BBC has made a particularly good series of it for television, which is available on Netflix (in the UK). Also, on the subject, Presbyterian Mixture is another appropriate baccy! :wink:

chrishopkins

Lurker
Feb 25, 2016
Winston Salem
I am sorry to hear all of this, I truly am. I am a pastor in Winston Salem, NC and it is the hardest thing I could ever imagine doing. The crap that happens to people everyday is completely heartbreaking. I would add a word of encouragement to you by saying that because you share their pain you are most definitely actualizing the Kingdom of God. To willingly bear other's burdens with them, when you don't have to and don't want to, is what community is all about.

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Another Pastor here. Picked the pipe back up a few years ago to be closer

to the memory of my dad who passed 25 years ago. As it turned out, it has

been a great way to commune with the Father.
I like the "offering incense" way of putting it.
I have found that when the burdens of the Church get to heavy, I am bearing a

load that is His not mine.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
FUTURE pastor here :D
I haven't necessarily dealt with the hardships of life much yet (As I'm only 20) but I do know that the pipe does indeed offer times of contemplation and meditation, and it can be a great way to sit and listen as the Lord speaks.
In reference to mine, I attend Mississippi College, where I'm going through the Christian studies program, currently going through Greek and a few exegetical courses. I find if I ever get too stressed from school, a good break from studies and gathering with my friends to smoke is a wonderful relaxation for me. I don't often smoke alone, but I enjoy taking the time to step away from the world and to talk with friends and just mellow out and meditate

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
While I do not believe in magic. I do say thank you for trying to help others. The pipe solves problems and sooths the mind! I load a bowl and do what I call "thought skipping" which is simply letting ideas and thoughts come and skip through my mind. Only one other thing I do really brings on thought skipping and that is my iron horse on a two lane highway in the middle of nowhere. Happy smokes!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
When I was young, I thought religion was all -- err, "nonsense." The more I experience, the more I see the understructure of reality and appreciate how it has metaphysical dimensions. My guides are the Upanishads, Eckhart, Lewis, Chesterton and Bill Faulkner, of course!

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
Pipe smoking definitely helps slow things down and facilitates contemplation/reflection. As a thinker with an overly active mind, a pipe in the evening helps me tremendously in this area. It gives me an opportunity to do nothing but think and reflect in quiet without the distractions of the world around me.
For the pipe smoking pastors out there, what denomination are you ordained through or affiliated with? Just curious. I'm a Christian of the Reformed Presbyterian sort.

janosh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2015
Hungary
For the pipe smoking pastors out there, what denomination are you ordained through or affiliated with? Just curious. I'm a Christian of the Reformed Presbyterian sort.

Me too.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I'm not a pastor - in fact, I'm an atheist. But I have the greatest admiration for people who give so much of themselves for the benefit of others, whatever their walk of life - so that also goes for firefighters, doctors and nurses, and others who've raised their hands here. So just let me take a moment to thank you for the gift of your self, and say that I hope the pipe helps you through your own hard times.

Status
Not open for further replies.