PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hi folks, here are a few pics of billiard attempt number 3
Slight forward cant, hand turned black Japanese ebonite stem with faux buffalo horn ring.
Height in front of the button 0.157
Slot sanded to 600grit
The rim isn't uneven - the angle the picture was taken at makes it look uneven.

As always, here is the link to the professionals for their comments and feed back.

A comment on my stamp/ing. I use a standard set of stamps. I don't and won't get a professionally made stamp. (I had one but it was way too small and I no longer use it.) I like mine done the way it is. Some people won't like it, but it is what it is for me.
P.S. If you are interested please PM me.
Kind regards
Chris

uLoAjyF.jpg

2dHxFiH.jpg

x5LR4YZ.jpg

6xhNv2b.jpg

1QA8YoC.jpg

QEnbXEb.jpg

d750

Lurker
Aug 20, 2019
Nicely done. Looking forward to see what the experts say at PMF. We must have the same set of stamps. I use my initials and the number of pipe I've made. I have a hard time aligning the letters and numbers well. Personally I would like to have a real stamp, just out of vanity, since I am not selling pipes. Not likely to spend the money on one though.

I like the bold look of the stem. Fitment looks good between shank, horn and stem. Partial rustication is interesting. What tool do you use to rusticate?

I wonder if a thinner piece of horn would have looked better. Not sure about that.

George

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hi George, To rusticate I start with my Dremel bit, medium size cutter, round tip then I use the Walt Cannoy method. I have a piece of wooden dowel that I drilled a hole into and placed several nails with the heads cut off (or as many nails as you want) into the hole and epoxy them in place. Presto! Rustication tool. Yeah, a thinner piece of horn would have been better. Hindsight is 20/20 but that's the beauty of the hobby. Experiment.
Here is a link to Walt's YouTube vid on rusticating. Dremel bits: 106, 107, 190

Reactions: danimalia

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Moderator - would you kindly edit this post for me and delete the sentence
If you are interested contact me.
I realized too late that sentence should not be in there - wrong place
Thank you.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I can't find an edit tool to actually edit the post. Could you please point me in the right direction?
Thanks

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thank you! I took to much material off the chin area and the button is a butcher's job. It will make a great shop pipe and another lesson on the learning curve.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'm really impressed with the rustication as well. I figure the big boys all have special machines and processes for their signature rustications (e.g. Castello's Sea Rock or Peterson's Rocky Donegal), but I was curious how it was done by individual pipemakers. Great piece!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Excellent! I can now see the original chin, and agree that the shape is nicer in the original. But the over all makes an OK pipe into a real winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.