PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I picked up this pipe recently and am not having much luck with finding a lot of information on it. It is stamped:

Parker's over Ferrowood (with an empty diamond in the middle). These is also a "5" stamped forward of the Parker's. On the right side of the shank it is stamped: Made in London, over England, then a letter "L"

More photos are HERE
It also has an "innertube" that can be seen in the extra pictures. Any help will be appreciated.

May 31, 2012
Sorry I missed this earlier, I must've been working out of town and not online.
I'm always interested in old Parkers!
You have a very interesting pipe, hardly any information to be found about the ferrowood pipes, but I'd speculate that it's most likely a WW2 era pipe -- briar supplies were disrupted and alternative woods began being used. Vulcanite was also in short supply, that's why you see a good number of wartime Dunhills with horn stems.
Sorry I can only offer this speculation and not more solid info.
The shape 5 is a he-man's pipe so sayeth the sales brochure!

:mrgreen:

Rb1myzw.jpg

Your photo was a bit blurry on the one side and I couldn't discern it very well,

are you sure that what you think is an L really isn't a number?

It's probably a number and if so, can be very accurately dated:
From 1925 through 1941 the date code of Parker pipes runs from 2 to 18.
From 1945 through 1949 the date code runs from 20 to 24.
From 1950 through 1957 (at least) the date suffix run from an underlined and raised 0 to 7.​
I got lucky and found an unsmoked 1939 Parker, we can know this by the 16 number...

sJ0JxQo.jpg

Interestingly, yours has the possessive Parker's name and that's usually associated with the very early pipes, just like the early Dunhill's.
I wonder why they left the diamond blank?

They should have made it a Super Ferrowood!

:)
Anyway,

it's a good find as they're pretty scarce I think.
I'd be very curious to know how the ferrowood smokes?

:puffy:

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
misterlowercase, thank you. I'd dispute their "He-Man" name; its a group 1-2 IMHO! LOL I appreciate the link and info.
I'll check in that number/letter and post an answer. It had only been smoked maybe twice when I got it and I know why: the shank was full of the blueish lacquer they covered the pipe with and I bet tasted, well, like lacquer! It smokes nicely now- sans the lacquer.
I've had little luck with info on it. I thought it might be pre-war since what I read was Parker wasn't an offical producer for WWII and few if any pipes were made and stamped by then in the war years. That could be wrong though.

May 31, 2012
Greg,

wow, the 1. stamp really is odd, I have no explanation.
I've sent an email off to Parker collector Mike Reschke in hopes that he may shed some light on the mystery.
I've had little luck with info on it. I thought it might be pre-war since what I read was Parker wasn't an offical producer for WWII and few if any pipes were made and stamped by then in the war years. That could be wrong though.
You're right about the WW2 era as far as I know,

this is what Loring said...

Parker was not a government approved pipe manufacturer and thus was not eligible for a briar allocation, unlike Dunhill and Hardcastle who were.
During the war years Parker manufactured the "Wunup" pipe made of bakelite and clay.

The Wunup pipe was very interesting, it's unclear how popular it was or how many they sold, but they do occasionally pop up...

http://www.smokingmetal.co.uk/pipe.php?page=432
A very nice Wunup showcard recently sold, for the spring-loaded cigarette case that would pop "one up",

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARKER-DUNHILL-WUNUP-BAKELITE-CIGARETTE-CASE-BOX-amp-SHOP-ADVERTISEMENT-DISPLAY-/301311167102?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=rOtaurHG%252FDuH%252BOYJ%252BUSWzZhH8mo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
To me, since the Wunup pipe didn't seem to be marked Parker, they may have made the Ferrowood as a stand-alone Parker?
The possessive Parker's is a bit of a curveball though, as well as the weird 1. stamping.

:?:
A few briar pipes did get made during wartime though,

here's a date code 19 Super Bruyere, 1942,

http://www.thepiperack.com/blue-chip-estate-pipe-parker-super-bruyere-patent-rarest-1942-19-date-code/
Your Ferrowood is a neat little pipe with a mysterious history!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks for the input and info. I do hope that Mike Reschke has some more info for us; I'm terribly intrigued by the little pipe! I enjoyed a bowl of C&D Three Friars in it this morning after shooting the new photo and making the post. I dig the little guy no matter, but more history always makes me enjoy my pipes all the more!

May 31, 2012
Haven't heard back anything from Mike Reschke,

but I was looking around at old Parkers because I love them and like seeing all the different BriarBarks,

when I came across this pipe which I've seen before, but now looked at it in a new light due to your pipe,

note how similar the date code is to yours, but a 2., plus the possessive 's, this pipe dates to 1925:

L4zKwAYm.jpg

...dare I say that'd make your pipe a 1924?!?!?!?!?

8O

That's what it looks like to me!
I'm far from an expert though, and I'm speculating.
You should try to contact some experts with more seasoned eyes and deeper knowledge.

I would if I was you!

Michael Linder may be able to help...

http://www.thepiperack.com/pages/Contact-Us.html
btw

I noticed on the nomenclature shot how you'd polished up the stem.

I love how the old vulcanite looks when it turns that uniform brown color, but it don't taste too nice, which is a shame!
Thankfully, they're making an ebonite color that's pretty close and hope to have a pipe done up with one pretty soon...

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Wow, that is some interesting thought line! It seems to add up to me as well. I just fired off an email to The Piperack so hopefully he can shed some more light on the old burner. Your help thus far has been very appreciated and useful; thanks so much! :worship:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
There is another thread on dating a 1944 Dunhill, that states the "1" following the date code signified the size of the inner tube. The number 1 on your Parker might be the same, denoting the inner tube size.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
It would seem we are looking at a very uncommon 1924 Parker's. The pipe looks to be in great shape, aside from the oxidation on the stem. Neat!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thank you misterlowercase!!! I've been searching for what seems like ages for information and have found nothing; the email I sent to The Piperack was never answered. This is great.
The pipe is pretty much pristine; the oxidation has been long removed. I don't have any photos of it in its current state; I have it ( and most of my collection - restored and not) packed safely away at the moment since we've been doing some "rearranging" around the house. If I get the chance I'll try to get a current photo to post.
Again, I really appreciate the info. And if you or anyone else has more to add I'd be grateful to see it.

May 31, 2012
Greg,

when I saw that ad I was immediately reminded of this thread and of your pipe.
Buroak is correct,

it is an exceedingly scarce example.
Yet another reason why I love this forum so,

such things may see the light of day and perhaps we even learn something about such shadowy things from the dusty rubble of pipes past.
Thanks for sharing the pipe and the pictures!

:clap:
Would absolutely love to see a current photo!

May 31, 2012
I recently picked up a SuperBriarbark with the same date code ("1").
Would LOVE to see a picture of such a magnificent beastie!
Talk about rare & scarce!
Such a pipe is like a Grail for me.
My predominant interest relating to the old British pipes are very early examples of sandblasting,

and a 1924 Super Briar Bark is something near the Ark of the Covenant for me as I have a deep love for the Parker brand

--- but, the earliest specimens are exceedingly difficult to come by!

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I started buying Parkers a couple years ago. Naturally the dated pipes are most desired. Not many show up on eBay or anywhere else. I imagine that they are keepers in peoples collections. I have 2 dated Parkers. A 47 and a 57. Both Super Briar Barks as that's what I favor. Nice smoking pipes. Nice score on the Ferrowood! Great pipe! I'd clean it up and enjoy it.

May 31, 2012
Not many show up on eBay or anywhere else.

I imagine that they are keepers in peoples collections.
I agree,

many of the earlier blasts were super gnarly too.
Also,

many of the examples I've come across have been very well smoked,

loved to death as it were!

Status
Not open for further replies.