Parker: Still Making Great Pipes In 2016.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Last week I took a trip out to 'Johnnie's Of Newquay', the only B&M in Cornwall with a decent display of pipes for sale in the hope of picking up a new bent bulldog as a treat to myself.
Alas, not a bulldog was to be seen, bent or otherwise amongst his pretty decent selection but having driven all that way was determined to come away with something. After much poking about in his cabinet I had narrowed it down to a Lorenzo 'Spitfire' slightly bent Dublin or a Parker slightly bent Zulu. Both were nice pipes but what swung it was the fact that the Lorenzo was a filter pipe and the Parker was not...so the Parker won.
It's a cracking pipe with bird's eye grain of the sort I have never seen afore. I am more used to tightly compact bird's eye, this is more like leopard spots. Oval shanked with a well fitting Vulcanite stem, an absolute bargain at £35 ($43.49) and it smokes beautifully...here it is loaded up with Solani Silver Flake...
1x13-600x400.jpg

2x14-600x400.jpg

3x11-600x400.jpg

4x10-600x400.jpg

...it just goes to show one doesn't have to lash out huge amounts of cash for a pretty decent pipe :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks chaps. I intend to get my heat gun out and give the stem an ever so slight increase to the bend at the bit end.
I do actually have another of these that is simply stamped 'West Cornwall Cigar Co, Penzance' with no indication as to who had made it for the shop (now sadly closed) and it was a member of this forum who suggested it was a Parker made pipe when I made enquiries on here last year. Now I have this new one to compare it to I can say they are identical.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Impressive grain indeed, and at that price remarkable. I have a Parker bent cherrywood shape poker. It's a good smoker. I really like zulu, and have a few, but nothing with that kind of grain.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Lovely looking Parker, is that a Zulu or a horn? I only ask cause I got a Parker jockey club 'zulu' that seems a bit different shape wise. Quite fortunate for us here in England that Parker pipes are so modestly priced compared to other brands. I've got several or more, great smokers all of them. BTW, is johnnys the only decent baccy shop left in Cornwall now? I'd of thought Truro would have one or two left, at least.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Simon, I did ponder myself over whether it was a Zulu or not but by using various shape charts that pretty much convinced me it was indeed closer to a Zulu than a Horn.
Truro apparently used to have a couple of 'proper' tobacconists, I recall one of them close by the cathedral, alas now both gone.
The nearest thing I have to a local B&M is Harvey's of Redruth, about 12 miles away but holding a tiny inventory of pipes and tobacco sadly.
Anyway, I'm pleased as punch with my new Parker :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I think it's very firmly in the Zulu camp, myself. Although with the bowl being so upright, its daddy may have been a Dublin. And I'm with Simon- Zulus seem to have excellent balance.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If it weren't for the oval shank and the way the shank flares toward the bowl, I would completely agree, Tom.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Beautiful pipe, even more beautiful price. Just reinforces my belief you don't need to shell out a ton of cash for something to smoke tobacco with.

Status
Not open for further replies.