PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I was asked to post a picture tutorial of my Parafilm stem softy bit system. When guys see this in person it always grabs attention. I use this method exclusively now instead of Softy bits or shrink wrap from the hardware store. There is ZERO bulk on the stem and this allows a natural stem feel in the mouth and on the teeth. It's perfect for vulcanite/ebonite stems and reduces teeth chatter to almost nonexistent. I use it on acrylic stems also because it reduces the hard clanging on my teeth and minimizes clenching pain with those hard stems.
You need Parafilm to do this. Luckily, I have access to this everyday in the lab. You can buy it on Amazon or any internet retail store. It lasts forever and a role would be enough for a lifetime of smoking. I remove the wrap after every smoke and apply chapstick or minimal wax/oil to the stem while it is resting and waiting for a proper cleaning.
PitGa6B.jpg

Z5WOOjy.jpg

EMsYT9N.jpg

HxWKpn6.jpg

m2BB71l.jpg

zFaiCfL.jpg

EtjHFWO.jpg

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
All of these crazy solutions to a non problem. I'll never understand why people don't just use their stems as intended. Ha. I'm glad this works for you, and I hope someone is seeking such a solution so that you help them out.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
All of these crazy solutions to a non problem

I actually completely agree. I generally just smoke without worry. And I can't stand the the feel of anything other than a natural stem. But sometimes I use the system above as noted, and it is a great solution for people who do want to protect stems. It is the most natural feeling solution I have found.
I started using Parafilm on my big, huge, Italian acrylic stems because it makes the stem feel better on my teeth.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nice illustrations for a problem that doesn't exist for me. In some areas, I have a real sense of aesthetics; in others, none. I don't like anything that changes the clean lines of my pipes.
It's perfect for vulcanite/ebonite stems and reduces teeth chatter to almost nonexistent. I use it on acrylic stems also because it reduces the hard clanging on my teeth and minimizes clenching pain with those hard stems.
If one has clenching pain it's likely biting down/holding/clenching with force, or a tooth/gum problem that should be looked at.

May 4, 2015
But. Why.
Parafilm is actually a really fabulous thing with some really practical applications. This I don't find to be one of them.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Well this post seems to have been a flop. And again, I agree with the comments above, and I actually don't like stem covers. But I see them on pipes all the time in pipe club and on internet pictures, so people do use them.
Sometimes these odd techniques and tips and tricks do help some solve a problem.
Maybe you should use them on your dedicated pipes for grape tobacco. :laughat:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thank you for bringing this up to our knowledge ,this trick might be useful to a try while driving, can't stand those softy bite nor do I like silicone adhesive tapes ecetera,and the heat shrink tube seems to be way too problematic to remove it,

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I was going to let this post die a quick death. But then I was at the mall today and found something at Spencer Gifts. May I present ... bondage tape by Kinklab. Stretchy and sticks without residue. Perfect for the bedroom and your pipe stems. :rofl: It is actually very effective, for pipes of course.
PzVHHGU.jpg

5vcGwCc.jpg

YjXZvbS.jpg

aKhBexq.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: petes03

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I almost spit my pipe out laughing at that last picture! I'm glad I made it through the entire read, haha, too funny!

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
:rofl: :rofl: Now that is the way to rejuvenate a thread!!! Am I to assume you will be the one being tied up and handcuffed and the tape is to keep you from biting through the stem of your pipe haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.