PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Depending on the stem shape some pipes I use nothing, others softy bits but on my wider stems I like the vinyl tubing best. These feel much better on the teeth. I prefer using something soft on the pipes that I tend to clench because the stem does hurt my teeth. The vinyl tubing in my opinion feels much better and more natural than the softy bits.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Craig, I looked at that & cracked up totally when I saw this: "Visually stunning

35' Long.^Non-Sticky.^Perfect for Beginners"
Say whut?????

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I bought some KinkLabs bondage tape online, and I'm not sure the stress of intercepting all packages before my wife and kids was worth the stress. Yikes! Successful, though.
So are you guys putting new tape on every time? If not, how often?
The clenching is pretty awesome, but the tendency to unwrap is pretty annoying. What am I missing?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I'm not sure the stress of intercepting all packages before my wife and kids was worth the stress. Yikes!
I hear ya! I decided to tell me wife what I was up to, just in case she stumbled on an order or search history. I ended up at Lover's Lane and found some. I like it a lot, but in my discussions with Npod last week, he's having no problems with his tape unraveling like the stuff I got at Lover's Lane.
I just acquired a beautiful Danish apple with a musk ox horn stem. The black tape looks crappy on the cream-colored stem. I might buy the white version too.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I wrapped mine 3-4 times, and it just keeps unraveling. Maybe a single wrap holds better. I'll report back if I figure it out.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I bought some KinkLabs bondage tape online, and I'm not sure the stress of intercepting all packages before my wife and kids was worth the stress. Yikes! Successful, though.
Maybe you missed an opportunity? If she puts that much fear into you, perhaps you would both enjoy her being tied up for a bit... you know, to switch it around a bit. Yowzah!
There's still a chance she'll find it in your sock drawer. Don't flinch. Be cool. Weird and interesting things might follow.
Good luck!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I never reuse the tape. Single use only. A roll lasts forever.
I wrap it about 3 times around the stem.
Until recently, I didn’t have problems with tape unraveling. But since Craig and I spoke last week I have had the tape unravel twice. Go figure. I blame you, Craig.
Also, I recently had an episode where the stem on a Tonni Nielsen pipe turned very green with fresh oxidation immediately after smoking when I removed the tape. That was very frustrating. I had to work quickly and rather thoroughly to remove the wet oxidation. The stem is fine now, but that scary.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I bet that oxidation would have happened even without the tape, Neal. Sorry to jinx you! I’m experimenting with a technique to reduce unraveling. It seemed to work today. If it continues to produce positive results, I’ll be sure to share my method.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Here are two photos of a stem wrapped in bondage tape after a smoke and one of the stem after unwrapping the tape. It offers the perfect amount of protection for my clenching style.
IMG_0620-X2.jpg

IMG_0621-X2.jpg

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I've been using the KinkLab bondage tape which Npod recommended for about 2 or 3 months and like it quite a bit, but I have encountered two problems. First, it's the same width as duct tape, so it must be cut lengthwise to size. Second, and more importantly, I've yet to get the knack of how to consistently wrap it without it unraveling. Sometimes it sticks really well and can even survive multiple smokes. Other times, it just won't stay stuck.
I've been looking primarily for the same kind of tape in a .75"-1.0" width, which would be more convenient. I found this one on Amazon which is 1". Like the bondage tape, it adheres solely with static cling, like plastic wrap. It mostly solves both of the problems I mentioned as it's 1" wide and sticks more stubbornly than the KinkLab bondage tape. It has the further advantage of being significantly less embarrassing to purchase since it's sold as a Dry Vinyl Hard Chrome Plating Tape. It is certified as free of lead and several other contaminants. It has no flavor nor smell that I detect. It's also cheaper to try at less than $4, shipped, for Prime members. Finally, it's thinner and has greater flexibility than the bondage tape, so it conforms better on fishtail stems.
The one downside to this tape relative to the bondage tape is that lacks the deep, glossy black finish of the KinkLabs tape, so on black acrylic and non-oxidized vulcanite stems, it will be more obvious than the bondage tape.
I have found it best to not stretch the last bit too much. Just a little seems to adhere better that way.
Here's a link: TapeCase TC790 Dry Vinyl Tape - 1 in. x 100 ft. Black Chrome Plating Tape Roll with High Conformability.
Here are some photos to compare the appearance on a very shiny black Dunhill stem.
KinkLab bondage tape. Almost invisible:
Pipe_Tape-1-XL.jpg

TapeCase Dry Vinyl Tape. More grayish and duller. Fairly obvious.
Pipe_Tape-3-XL.jpg

Finally, side-by-side. KinkLab bondage tape nearest the button.
Pipe_Tape-2-XL.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Craig and I have been discussing this offline for while. I agree with his conclusion above. For me, this stuff just never unravels, it stays in place for sure.
I actually prefer the TapeCase Dry Vinyl tape myself. It is solid and doesn't slip. I don't care about aesthetics when smoking alone. The goal is to protect the stems and also to provide a mild grip surface for the teeth.
I particularly like the TapeCase when driving with a pipe. It helps greatly when clenching in traffic and makes the experience more comfortable.
Example of TapeCase in the car

jXZUftG.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It has the further advantage of being significantly less embarrassing to purchase since it's sold as a Dry Vinyl Hard Chrome Plating Tape.
Amusingly, the second customer review on that page (currently) from 2016, states that they use it as bondage tape. 11 people found the comment helpful. LOL

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Is it thick enough to provide protection from tooth chatter? For those who clench in the original sense of the word, not you careful guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.