PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
This was exciting- asked Foggy if he had an unusual shape among his Dunhills he was selling and he mentioned a 2003 Group 4 Quaint he described as a Pancake Rhodesian. After a few days work, here's my version. I used SEM Cumberland and some grade II Mimmo briar in hopes of getting a nice smooth...as is often the case with briar, the wood preferred to be partially blasted. I found this shape to be incredibly challenging- weight came in at 40 grams (compared to 38 grams on the original. Length is 6 1/8". Tobacco chamber is .88 deep and 13/16 wide. Width across the top is 1.85". The pictures distort the dimensions, but it measured very close to the original dimensions within .03". I think i'll do a few variations on this in a smooth, full blast and partial blast- it's a nice shape.

zv9d6v.jpg

21cw4y8.jpg

30kaalu.jpg

2re63ax.jpg

2j2jfvt.jpg

1ghzls.jpg

j7s19z.jpg

2ajdegz.jpg

2cep1ja.jpg

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
I like the partially blasted. I also like how you used the edge of the chamfer as an abrupt transition to smooth.
Being much wider, I bet it stays cooler when lit.
I hope to tackle my first briar, soon.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I like the partially blasted. I also like how you used the edge of the chamfer as an abrupt transition to smooth.
thanks...taping it for the blast was challenging..(when you get ready to do a briar- check out Steve Norse of Vermont Freehand- he has some pre-drilled blocks that are a great way to start..)
Wow. Do you sell those?
yep.... i usually make around 30 pipes a year...and do Chicago every year...Working on some of the more unusual classics this year...

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Zack it's a beauty. Somebody needs to put a link to his site on here. I don't know how or I would. He's got some great lookers. I guess no body does it because he's a mod or something.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Some shapes like a billiard are easier...this required an accurate pattern and dozens of measurements from the actual pipe,...,after I make 4 or 5 of these,...it should be dialed in. The Quaints from Dunhill are interesting...never adopted as a standard shape, but so unique..: The original had a softer transition between the top and bottom- I took a more defined line...

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
They are beautiful, too small for me but they are poetry in motion, Smoking Jackets are needed to smoke this an old Overall Cajun would blasfeme it. :worship:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks guys! It's funny, when i first started making pipes, I didn't understand how challenging it is to make some of the classics...and now I'm really enjoying them. I'll be trying a new one in the next few days- a Morta Author that's fairly compact- i make a lot of Authors, but this should come in at around 4.5" and 40 grams...should be interesting...

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Your "pancake" aka saucer is my new favorite shape. Made 3 so far and am not tired of the shape yet. Yours are very well done as usual......

Status
Not open for further replies.