PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I have a Mario Grandi pipe, which is a budget pipe that I picked up many years ago that somehow stayed in my collection.

It's an apple shape packed full of birdseye on the base and flame grain on the sides. The stem shape is also quite nice, fitting the shape of the bowl very well, but it has a flaw (in my opinion) of having a swirl of black, dark grey, and a tiny bit of gold flecks. I would want it to be either pure black or pure white.

I've thought about sending it off to have a custom stem built, because honestly, it's one of my best smokers and visually, it looks as nice as some of my pipes which are worth 10 times what I paid for this one.

My son was building a model, and it got me to thinking that maybe it's possible to paint an acrylic stem in the same way you could paint a plastic model.

Since I probably won't have it sent away for a new stem, and I don't really want to wreck the one I have now, I'm wondering if anyone has ever painted an acrylic stem? If you would, which kind of paint would be appropriate?

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
You know, I never even thought about painting a stem. I am at a total loss for suggestions as I can see potential problems with anything I can think of, so I eagerly await others experiences on this as well.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I've found some guides online, but it's all a bit mixed up to me. Not to mention, searching for painting an acrylic plastic brings up a lot of information about acrylic paint.

I have some enamel model paint I can use, but I have no idea if it's durable enough for washing, pipe cleaner contact, etc. I could imagine it being a chipped ugly mess in short time.

But, if it's possible to harden it, or if that already happens on its own, maybe it will work. I've never seen a painted stem. Is that because it doesn't work or is it because nobody has ever done it? I can imagine some interesting effects with paint.

Particularly in the hands of a skilled painter...

And, you know, despite the carcinogens from tobacco, I'm a little concerned about toxicity. Does dried enamel paint give off toxins? Since it's going to my mouth...

Reactions: saintpeter

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
...I've thought about sending it off to have a custom stem built, because honestly, it's one of my best smokers and visually, it looks as nice as some of my pipes which are worth 10 times what I paid for this one.

I greatly fear that may be your best option. As a wild a$$ed guess maybe fingernail polish, but I have severe doubts as to durability and safety. And the whole idea rather flies in the face of everything I have heard, if you do decide to proceed do so with caution - and as always - at your own risk. ?

davek

Mar 20, 2014
I mean, if you clench at all you put little indents in a stem over time at the very least. Seems eventual chipping could be an issue.

I did eat paint chips as a kid and it never vhjhibf d i njyd ghifj

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My first thought is, pipes and their stems get handled a lot, and a paint job might not be durable. Also, I wouldn't want the paint up around where the mouth goes. Most model paint isn't something you want to ingest, even in small particles over time. There are some good swirly stems done entirely in acrylic, such as the ones sold by Forever for cobs, and others such as the one on the Savinelli Prince of Wales pipes (now discontinued, I believe). Otherwise, buying all white or other colored Vulcanite or acrylic stems may provide the dash of color you need.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Well, it's done. I'm going to let it cure for a few days and see what happens. I eventually settled on the idea that I could strip it or send it away for a new stem. Or just retire the pipe, despite it being a fine smoker.

About half of my enjoyment comes from having a nice pipe to look at. The swirl made it so I didn't use the pipe very often. It just bugs me.

As for any chemical leeching, I figure that once it's hard, there is probably minimal risk. I went with an enamel model paint that was for a plastic model my kid has. If it starts chipping, I just won't use it. Not being a clencher, or prone to slobbering on my pipe stems, I'm optimistic.

I don't have a cell phone, so no immediate pictures. If I get out the camera one day, I'll snap a shot to show anyone who is interested in the follow up. So far, the finish looks smooth. It's drying on the end of a chopstick, held up straight. I've not protected for dust.

If it does work... I think I'll sand down the black paint a little and then go over it with a high gloss white. The contrast of a smooth pipe with a medium/light stain and white stem is appealing to me. We'll see.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Low quality camera on my mac, but the finish is smooth (have to take my word for it). It's a matte paint, which looks fine, but I didn't have anything high gloss and wanted to test it out before buying paint I would only use on this.

It used to be a swirl stem that wasn't particularly attractive. I'll let it harden for another few days or so, and if it seems to hold up, I'm going to finish it in a high gloss white.

I prepared it with a very fine grit sandpaper for some tooth and used a fairly high quality, wide brush. I was surprised at how easy it was. If it does work (and I think it will), I can imagine some pretty interesting things can be done in the hands of a capable painter.

If you can paint detailed things on small pieces of model, I don't see why a pipe stem would be much different. It's just a matter of skill.

The only question now is durability. Not being a clencher, I suspect it will do fine. I might bite into it just to see, but so far, the finish seems pretty secure.

I've read that there are some hardeners that can be put on to paint jobs as well. Who knows, maybe we'll see an artesian pipe maker do something with this if they also know how to paint or airbrush.

A picture of your granddad, some boobs, leaves from a briar tree, pickaxe, skeleton... it's endless. I prefer solid colours, but enough people seem to like swirls, so this would be the next step, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.