PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I found myself with an hour to kill between meetings this morning, and decided to kill said time by wandering the local mall. Of course, before long, I found myself wandering into a Schefield and Sons (chain tobacconists in Canada), and, of course, asking the proprietor to open up the pipe case.

Well, I immediately found myself drawn to a Brigham 2-dot (Algonquin) large pot (and I mean large). Noting that there were two small fills, one on each side, but towards the (stem) end of the shank, I was able to talk the proprietor down to $54.99 (I'll get pics up once I have access to a real camera that will do it some justice).

I'll admit that in my excitement, I loaded up a half-bowl already, and I will say it smokes like a dream. I figured I would put the filter-system to the test, and loaded it with H&H Butternut Burley, straight out of the bag (still moist to touch). I did encounter a little bit of moisture in my smoke, but the filter system seems to cut it down immensely; and has the added bonus of being able to pass a pipe cleaner.
Sadly, I also left in a quandry - there were a pair of other pipes I would very much like to liberate, however, I can't decide which to pull the trigger on first; so any imput would be appreciated. Both pipes have vulcanite stems (sadly), and both seemed, to my limited experience, to be well engineered; passed a cleaner with no problems, draft hole drilled straight, etc.

The first is a Peterson Killarney 264 fishtale - I figure I should have at least one Canadian in my stable, and did not detect a single fill on the pipe, however, the price tag sits at $89.99 - and I know some etailers have them at better prices (although I am hesitant to order a smooth finish pipe online - with my luck, there will be a smiley face in fills and putty on the bowl). That said, I really want to add a Pete to my stable.

The second is a Brigham 1-dot (Voyager) rusticated Rhodesian - I am drawn to the shape of the Rhodesian/Bulldog, and the price is easier to swallow, at $49.99.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Get both of them. The cost/benefit ratio over the next 25 years in miniscule and you'll kick yourself in the backside for not doing it. I was eyeing up a B-C prince at the local B&M, hemmed and hawed too long and another customer, a priest, bought it. I mean, how do you thrash a priest for buying a pipe you really want and feel good about it?

Next time, no hesitation. If its in your sights, pull the trigger.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Papipeguy is right.....you will forever rue the day if you let this opportunity go by.... :D

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Well as a (privileged?) sufferer of P.A.D. I have to agree with the other fellows.

I own a Brigham Voyageur myself not a bulldog but it was the first pipe I bought and it doesn't disappoint even after I put a hole through the shank to the bottom trying to widen the draw and replaced it with a bit of dowel.

I really like the filter system on them as it really adds nothing detectable (by me anyhow) to the smoke in the way of flavour but it definitely makes a drier smoke.

The first Brigham made me kick off on collecting older Brighams and I really believe that they still make great pipes for the money even though they're no longer made in Canada which makes me a little sad.
In conclusion both would be great.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I wish I could acquire both, however my wife is having a hard enough time swallowing the one I already bought. Don't ask me why, like I explained to her, I would have spent that in a week on cigarettes, so we're ahead in the long run, but yeah, womens perogative.
Anyway, don't ask me why I stated that it was a pot I had purchased, its a billiard, for some reason, my fingers just didn't seem to want to type that many letters when I made the OP. Berate away.

Here's some pics of the billiard, detail isn't that great, but hey, I never said I was a photographer.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yep, that mean old man PAD will get you every time..

Resistance is futile. You can always get more $$, but

you can't always find fine Pipes.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Zuni, the filter (I'd consider it more a absorbent draft extension than a filter myself) is made of rock maple. A more expensive filter system to be sure but cleanable to an extent and lasts for quite a few smokes if you're smoking on the english side.

I can't say I dig the composite tenon they're using now so much but that's only when holding it against the older aluminum. Not bad at all really.
That's a great looking Brigham you got yourself there Schmitz.

Though if you have to choose one against the other I'd say weigh your options. If price is the worry then you really can't go wrong with a Brigham. However if it's variety in your collection you're looking for well...

Then again for the price of the Peterson you could have two of the Voyageur series...and the dots for grading on the stem seem to be being phased out in favour of a single cursive "B" on the stem so those will become collectible and desirable among Brigham lovers in the future.
P.A.D. is a cruel condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.