PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2019
Holla. I've lurked on this forum for a couple months now, as I've gotten more serious about pipe-smoking just recently, and I should thank everybody involved here for the help I've received. It's been nice because I don't have any older people in my life who can teach me how to do this (I actually taught my cigar-loving father how to pack a bowl recently). I'm still a beginner and have a lot to learn, but I'm starting to get the hang of this stuff.

My question now is regarding sliced flake tobacco. I recently bought P&Cs deal on a tin of Bengal Slices and tin of Plum Pudding, and I've been enjoying them both very deeply. The Plum Pudding is especially appreciated.

I've been preparing the tobacco by rubbing them out somewhat finely and packing it like I would a ribbon or loose cut. However, I've heard of people inserting slices directly in their bowls. Does that work? Again, I'm pretty to new to this whole thing.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Hello there!

I don’t know that people pack slices directly into their pipes so much as they do “flakes,” which are a different cut. I believe slices (basically thin cakes) are intended to be rubbed out as you are doing. Others will chime in!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Holla. I've lurked on this forum for a couple months now, as I've gotten more serious about pipe-smoking just recently, and I should thank everybody involved here for the help I've received. It's been nice because I don't have any older people in my life who can teach me how to do this (I actually taught my cigar-loving father how to pack a bowl recently). I'm still a beginner and have a lot to learn, but I'm starting to get the hang of this stuff.

My question now is regarding sliced flake tobacco. I recently bought P&Cs deal on a tin of Bengal Slices and tin of Plum Pudding, and I've been enjoying them both very deeply. The Plum Pudding is especially appreciated.

I've been preparing the tobacco by rubbing them out somewhat finely and packing it like I would a ribbon or loose cut. However, I've heard of people inserting slices directly in their bowls. Does that work? Again, I'm pretty to new to this whole thing.
I have tried the fold and pack method, and the roll and pack method and never had luck with them. So I rub the ever living crap out of my flakes, and dry it to a crisp. Then the enjoyment truly begins. I have been doing it this way for years.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Remember, all...he’s talking about somewhat of a cake tobacco at the moment (Bengals Slices). He may not be familiar with flakes at this point yet.

I may be totally off, but I think the OP is mistaking Bengal Slices to be “flake,” and is wondering if he ought to give it a try folded and stuffed. Bengal Slices won’t fold, as it is a crumble cake.

Perhaps the OP could clarify a bit for us.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Though the slices in Bengal Slices and Plum Pudding are indeed crumble cakes, sometimes they also refer to flakes such as Sutliff Virginia slices. Originally, I think Bengal Slices came packaged in neat little rows of slices. Of crumble cake. It's weird. Penzance is still packed in neat little slices that basically fall apart at first touch.

With crumble cakes, some people prefer to rub a bit less vigorously so the tobacco stays a bit chunky. I haven't had any luck with this, so I rub them out like the OP does. I enjoy the format, and Bengal Slices is one of my favorite blends.

Reactions: lightmybriar
However, I've heard of people inserting slices directly in their bowls. Does that work? Again, I'm pretty to new to this whole thing.
Yes, you can roll the flake in any of multiple ways as described above, but what I find is that you have to fiddle with the bowl while smoking it this way... meaning, that I find that I am constantly pushing down the sides to get them to burn into the center.
I could go on and on about my preferred way of smoking flakes, but not to anger Brooklyn, I will merely answer your question and move on.

Hope that helps... keep it smokey. puf

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I think what you are referring to is what is known as the 'fold and stuff method' when it comes to flakes with the same applying to slices from a plug. I don't dry them out since I like the gurgle taste from the moisture. However if you search Youtube you can find quite a few videos on packing and preparing flakes.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I think what you are referring to is what is known as the 'fold and stuff method' when it comes to flakes with the same applying to slices from a plug. I don't dry them out since I like the gurgle taste from the moisture.
YES! On certain blends if you dry the piss out of them, the flavor goes to.
Do any of you read a goddamn thing around here?
Chill you must my young Jedi. Not knowing the way they are...

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've smoked so much flake I find loading it now much easier than ribbon. I do recall early attempts in my flake smoking experience were not so good. I'm not sure if it is the food and stuff or not. I food in 1/2 across the width then I food in 1/2 length wise. I grab both end and twist slightly to break the stands of tobacco a bit. I twist that lightly into the bowl. Ideally, I leave a little space in the bottom of the bowl. I've found the key thing is to avoid packing too tight. Ideal dryness, for me, is when the flake just starts to break when food in half. Takes 10 to 15 seconds.

I know many people prefer the flavor when rubbed out. I find the flavors more intense in flake form and prefer it that way. And I like how flake burns slower.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
OK, let's just say I got whooshed if you like.

What do you mean? Why angry?

Not 'whooshed' though I had to look it up. The tone & joke just didn't relay. I meant it in a deadpan way; I whooshed myself if you will.

I know some folks on the web use other fonts or write /s but I've always been resistant. If anybody found it offensive, my apologies as it wasn't my intention. There wasn't anything substantive for me to add after lightmybriar's explanation and Embers' visual example of a flake.

My apologies to BengalSliced as well for knocking his thread off track. Welcome to the boards

Status
Not open for further replies.