PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samugeki123

Lurker
Nov 26, 2017
Well, callouses and nerve damage. After a while the nerves will be damages to where the heat doesn't really register. Callouses will just help protect the hand crom severe damage.

And you can hold an ember from a fire in your hand and not end up horrifically burned, based on temp of ember and duration of contact.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When it comes to packing a bowl my experience is such that I want a certain amount of resistance before I light my pipe. The saying of packing looser than you think you should is not the best way to pack a pipe in my opinion. I want there to be resistance like sipping a milkshake through a straw. The reason I want resistance is that my bowl will smoke cooler than with a loose pack. The looser a bowl is means the hotter it will smoke in my experience. If for some reason I pack it too tight, I will just run a pipe cleaner through the stem to loosen it up.
I cube cut most of my flakes and use the 3-4 step packing method, this is when I want resistance. If I do a fold and stuff, then I want it looser so that when the flake expands it has the room needed. As far as a smaller pipe, I use the same methods as above no matter what size pipe. Try cube cutting and pack with some resistance and see if that gives you a cooler smoke.
As far as packing a ribbon or other cut besides a flake I use the same method of packing 3-4 steps but look for a little less resistance than I would for a cube cut flake. A loose pack no matter what type of cut will lead to a hotter smoke in my experience.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
^^

Good. I'll try that.
So far I've still not been able to get my piping act together. Pipe just won't stay lit > accelerated sipping cadence > sore tongue and palate. :( :( :(
My local tobacconist suggested that I was packing too loose. Drawing has essentially no resistance. I'll try to pack harder, I guess.
I'm puzzled about the gravity fill method for packing cubed flake: I cubed my SG Navy Flake and tried gravity filling a pipe without pressing down. Same problem, wouldn't stay lit for more than a couple of puffs; it was also so loose that when I accidentally bumped my arm against the steering wheel most of the tobacco went flying out. Talk about a smoking session cut short. :x

Status
Not open for further replies.