PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Preferred Member
Sep 9, 2017
What's the best method to pack pipes with very tiny bowls? Can you do the 3-layer method on those ones? How about packing a flake in them?
My new pipe has a chamber 18 mm deep with a 15 mm diameter. I don't want to be relighting ad tonguem burnem.
Thanks!

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Packing a small bowl is just the same as packing a larger bowl only you use less tobacco. It's rather like pouring a beer in either a pint pot or a half pint pot...you just fill it to capacity.
Regards,
Jay.

mikethompson

Preferred Member
Jun 26, 2016
Can confirm that the 3 pinch method works just as well in a smaller pipe. Sometimes I will use my Czech tool if the bowl is too small, but the process is the same.

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
I tend to put the pipe bowl in the tobacco jar or pouch and tuck in the tobacco, usually in two or three layers, but mostly packing it by feel, not too tight but full enough. Same with rubbed out flake, but flake (plug, coin, rope) usually give a noticeably longer smoke, often what a packed medium size pipe might do. You want to feel a little sponginess and give in a nicely filled bowl, room for air and fire flow, but not so loose as to burn too fast. In really small pipes, sometimes the pinky finger is best for pressing the leaf down gently so you can feel the tightness, not too tight.

olkofri

Preferred Member
Sep 9, 2017
Thanks for the replies, guys.
I did't have time to smoke to-day, but hopefully to-morrow I'll be able to apply your advice. :)

jorchamp

Mar 21, 2016
Feeling the spring in the packed tobacco I think is the key to a good smoke. Small bowls are for short smokes. Think which tobacco would please you more for a quick smoke. And pack for the type of tobacco cut you got. Enjoy the smoke and let it be the guide.

tslex

Preferred Member
Jun 23, 2011
I tend to favor larger pipes. When I have the chance to smoke I want to SMOKE.
But I have a Sasieni that is a Group 2.5 or so. I normally load with the three layer method, but for that pipe I take a firm pinch, put it in, then tamp with my thumb. My charring light is really the true light on that pipe and it seems to work. First light to all ash and dottle in 20 minutes.

samugeki123

Nov 26, 2017
I made a cob pipe, and it has a relaticely small bowl. I have had my best luck using the Frank method to pack the bowl.

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member
Oct 17, 2013
Are we talking flakes? Loose cut? Shag? For flakes, fold and stuff, but stuff lightly. For loose cut and shag follow the best advice I ever received..... Use less tobacco then you think you need, pack it looser then you think you need, and relight it more then you think you need. There is a complete art from to smoking a small pipe, so take your time and don't get discouraged. I used to have a Tsuge Blowfish and sold it cause I couldn't keep it lit, but after a few month playing with small meerschaum and clay pipes I really wish I still had that blowfish. My smallest pipe right now the chamber it 7/8" deep and 1/2" deep and just a hair over 3" long.

bigpond

Preferred Member
Oct 14, 2014
Problem with a small pipe isn’t filling the bowl, it’s finding a small enough tamper!

samugeki123

Nov 26, 2017
I have been blessed with a small pinkie thrn. Probably also helps that my job had damaged enough nerves I hardly feel heat in that hand

warren

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2013
Four decent tampers on the end of each arm. They are cheap and never get lost. One the callouses form you never feel the heat, only smell the flesh if you are not attentive.

tslex

Preferred Member
Jun 23, 2011
Plus, warren, you get puzzled looks from those who see you do it.
"Isn't that stuff sorta . . . on fire?" is how one shooting buddy asked about it the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.