PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
As a charter P&T subscriber I take this as very bad news. Dayton is a passionate pipe collector and P&T reflected that. I just can't believe that a trade magazine publisher will be that interested in a glossy quarterly hobby magazine with a tiny subscription base. 8O

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I could never imagine the business plan for such high production quality for a special interest magazine. I agree, it's not necessarily good news, more likely not.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I read a bit in the linked article until the corporate-speak started, describing a beloved pipe magazine in terms obviously centered on the too often ugly bottom line.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
You would think P&T turned a profit, else why did it last as long as it did. Thus it would seem that it isn't as profitable as its new owner wants it to be to justify the corporation's minimum requirements.

zulucollector

Lurker
Nov 19, 2013
For quite a long time, P&T was a labor of love and commitment on the part of the publishers and the community.
This hobby is too small to support a four-color, glossy magazine, even with very loyal advertisers and subscribers.
We’re lucky we had it as long as we did.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, Dayton subsidized P&T for many years. Something no corporate board would entertain for a millisecond.
RIP P&T

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Fortunately I have every issue ever published and they are wonderful reference material. Sad to see the inevitable, but it's all about the bottom line. Mr. Matlick Thanks for the good reading.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I just spoke to the editor, Cliff Nelson, and he confirmed that the Spring issue will be the last.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
I wonder how this will work out for customers who had extended subscriptions? I hope it doesn't turn out like the American Heritage magazine episode from just a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.