PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
1iGCl0B.jpg

In our last installment, we looked at Cope's, famous for their Escudo.
This time we look at another company whose famous blend formulation has long outlived the company itself,

it's the rightly famous Mick McQuaid.
Although very difficult to get in North America, you can find it with some creative enterprise. It is now made in Denmark, but it's still excellent stuff, true stout tobacco done correctly in the Irish tradition.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/mick-mcquaid
QGyXUhf.jpg

8Ih5Cgi.jpg

Patrick James Carroll, fresh from an apprenticeship in tobacco manufacturing, opened the doors of his own tobacco manufacturing store at 38 Chruch Street, Dundalk, County Louth. The trade was practically confined to "Roll and Twist"- so called because the first manufacturing process after the leaf has been prepared consists of twisting and spinning-in those days by hand, in these days by machinery. At first the sales of the products of the small factory were naturally confined to Dundalk and immediate surroundings, but soon the good quality of the material and of workmanship began to spread and hold the trade of three to four counties.
1850's

After more than twenty years in the industry, the tobaccos of Carroll's were well known throughout Ireland and for the first time crossed the Irish sea to Liverpool.

The founder's son, Vincent Stannus Carroll joined the company. His forward thinking and progressive ways would lead to the modernization of the factory and the opening up of the export market. He is credited with guiding the company's expansion, even in times of severe economic decline.

In the 1880's a popular magazine named 'The Shamrock' featured a serial written by a Colonel Lynam about imaginary conversations between an optimist, Mick McQuaid, and a pessimist, Terry Garrity. During these philosophical conversations, Mick often drew inspiration from a pipeful of Carroll's tobacco. Consequently, in 1889, the company launched one of its most successful tobaccos, Mick McQuaid. When, in the 1920's, the company had a figure of Mick designed, it is said that the artist based his caricature on three well-known British politicians of the day - David Lloyd George, Herbert Henry Asquith and Horatio Bottomley.

Distribution plant established in Glasgow Scotland.

The fire which destroyed the Dundalk factory on December 16th could have threatened the livelihood of the more than 100 employees who then worked at Carroll's, but instead provided an opportunity to modernize the rebuilt factory and secure further employment.

P.J. Carroll & Company was incorporated as a company in Ireland.

A new factory was opened in Liverpool and a distribution plant was opened in Cork.

Carroll's became a public company.

Carreras took a 40% shareholding in carroll's.

P.J. Carroll & Company Limited became a wholly owned subsidiary of Rothmans International.

Rothmans International merged with British American Tobacco.
A cool video artifact from 1964,

Why Buy Broadleaf?

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/why-buy-broadleaf
An advert from 1904,

P.J. Carroll & Co., Dundalk
The old 18thC carroll's warehouse has been converted into the Dundalk Museum

http://www.dundalkmuseum.ie/en/main/index/
The ultra-modern 1970 Carroll's facotory has been converted into a university branch,

https://www.dkit.ie/about/history
A pretty neat fictional passage about an old man and his MM plug,

Legend of the Golden Key by Tom McCaughren
...and on to image overload!

Yt2GJM0.jpg

O8ezD9r.jpg

VzDhsJV.jpg

jYSPgS7.jpg

ghxI1tQ.jpg

8P3Wwhd.jpg

FNqBhYS.jpg

m8aUxG8.jpg

yefottd.jpg

jl8Eh1f.jpg

eb7fVZL.jpg

etl2SQW.jpg

Rrnkzhz.jpg

6v7VKrg.jpg

RS0gPrC.jpg

7JFEWab.jpg

fLIEFYJ.jpg

uBx61Ua.jpg

UX7oQMU.jpg

Jn1uZEX.jpg

zUk08zX.jpg

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Thanks again for a wonderful tobacco history lesson! Very intriguing.

Jan 3, 2014
Beautiful tins. That are is where some of my ancestors came from beginning in the 1830's. A little town in county Louth near Dundalk called Ballymascanlan.

May 31, 2012
Beautiful tins. That are is where some of my ancestors came from beginning in the 1830's. A little town in county Louth near Dundalk called Ballymascanlan.
That's awesome.

Most my folks came from Scotland/England, I'm gonna hafta make it over there someday soon I hope!
Flow gently, sweet Afton, amang thy green braes

Flow gently, I’ll sing thee a song in thy praise

My Mary’s asleep by they murmuring stream

Flow gently, sweet Afton, disturb not her dream.
Carroll's used the name Sweet Afton for their popular line of cigarettes, taken from the Robert Burns poem.

They were reputed to be Jean-Paul Sartre's preferred cigarette.
This looks interesting,

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dundalk-at-work-tobacco-industry/id735262263?mt=11

Dundalk at Work - The Tobacco Industry

iBook_Author__The_Tobacco_Industry.225x225-75.jpg

These little Heinkel micro-cars were built in Dundalk at one time:

cabin_1.jpg

1956_Heinkel_Kabine_rear_quarter_resize.jpg

beepbeep
...here's a couple more nice old cutter-top tins. The McQ looks musuem quality almost, I found it on an Australian antique-sellers site, but they want $150 for it!
NZofSVW.jpg

0oHkwwf.jpg

VSu8Jho.jpg

wwKe3WA.jpg

O0gioaq.jpg

ucxiGKb.jpg

I7vE8s3.jpg

eRYe1N6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.