PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Tobacco is perfect for hoarding. Occassionally I buy less than a pound, but as that amount makes sense to my accumulative instinct, that's what I buy; or $100 for free shipping. Even if I haven't smoked it.
There are two good reasons for this, aside from acquisition. FDA and FDA. Actually there are as many reasons for a beefy cellar as the potent power of an anti-tobacco regulatory agency who may yet declare that using tobacco in any form is illegal. Probably not, but having enough tobacco on hand even into advanced old age feels like the the right thing to do.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
having enough tobacco on hand even into advanced old age feels like the the right thing to do
:clap:
And to add, tobacco prices are only going to get higher.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I am constantly befuddled by P&C's behavior. They get 5 out of 5 WTF's from me. Bengal Slices is a good selling product. It's made here in the USA, and demand has been quite predictable. But, as we have seen, losing money and customers doesn't seem to concern them much.
Bengalpreproduction92015-vi.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even with shipping, at tin, tub, or ounce of a blend online is less than at a brick and mortar store. I buy from the store from time to time to keep them open and to keep the culture alive, but for cost on tobacco, online sites with shipping, even without free shipping or sales, cost less.

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
that's for the feedback gentleman. I do have one question I am hoping you can enlighten me on. What is that on tobacco maker that every hobbiest should have in their cellar. You know the Rolex watch of tobacco?

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Oooooohhhh this is fun. I don't know that you can narrow it down to just ONE. You'd have to divide it into different categories depending on blend type, and you'll still get a million different answers. The "Rolex" of pipe tobaccos to a very large group of smokers is Esoterica - Penzance (or so it seems). The stuff is impossible to find and sells out immediately when it comes in stock at every online retailer. It's good stuff I have to admit but everyone's tastes are different. I probably would've turned my nose up at the smell of it when I first started smoking a pipe. But I've also found more available blends that are just as good in my mind (G.L. Pease - Quiet Nights).
To best recommend a tobacco to you I would ask; what are you looking for? Are you a cigarette/cigar smoker? Are you looking for a sweet smelling blend? Natural tobacco smelling blend?
As far as taste is concerned as a new pipe smoker you may be surprised what you experience with different blends. More often than not if you go out and buy "vanilla" this or "fruity" that, you're going to be disappointed with the way it tastes. So many blends really take time and experience to appreciate. If you light them up for the first time having never really smoked a pipe, they're likely going to turn into an awful experience for you that will burn your tongue and turn you off.
To the point though, for the new pipe smoker I would recommend Prince Albert. It's a good beginner tobacco that won't punish you too much for lack of technique. It smells nice to everyone around you, but it actually TASTES GOOD too. Something that a lot of other aromatic blends fall short on.
The best blend EVER though? Hard to say. You'd really have to figure out what style you enjoy most (aromatic, English, Balkan, Virginia, Virginia/perique, Virginia/Burley, Burley, Oriental) before you can start narrowing them down to THE BEST of each. You can't compare aromatics to English for example, they're totally different tastes and experiences.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Wilson, that question (or minor variants thereof) has been the genesis of many a thread here, with no clear consensus. Too many variables as to personal taste, preferences and budget. I'd say that you are best off finding the best of each blender, since most excel at something specific, like McClelland's Virginia, or C&D burley. Russ Ouellette is probably the best of show of the blenders though, with exceptional products in nearly every category.
Now someone will disagree!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
A while back P&C had a deal that if you bought a tin of Warhorse, you got free shipping. Great! I got a tin of a blend I enjoy and and my shipping was free!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
As above it takes 2 or 3 years of smoking to identify which tobacco class you like best. When I started the seemingly endless number of blends presented to my palate made tasting a muddle, and the seasoned smokers' taste takes were not mine. I found it useful to write reviews as that effort helped me crystallize my perceptions.
Give your tongue the time to find its way around the tobacco world. Smoking is a pleasure regardless of the level of one's expertise.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
I am constantly befuddled by P&C's behavior. They get 5 out of 5 WTF's from me. Bengal Slices is a good selling product. It's made here in the USA, and demand has been quite predictable. But, as we have seen, losing money and customers doesn't seem to concern them much.
I will stand by P&C, by their promotions and Russ. Granted they sell out quickly, but their specials will fasten sales. I have a pound of 965 and three tins on backorder, but Smokingpipes will never dig into their profits that deep. If you are patient, and resilient, you will find excellent promotions.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Nukes you are speaking to one of the owners of Standard Tobacco, who produce Bengal Slices, and is known for his sly and clever sense of humor. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.