Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Javan, thanks for compiling the list, and Russ, thanks for creating the pairings guide.
I've tried several of them, but my go-to is coffee or espresso during the day, and a dark spirit in the evening - whiskey, scotch, and even rum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Chilled or iced water, the purer the better, gives a nice coating to the mouth that seems to increase the volume of smoke slightly without diminishing taste, and gives a clarity to the taste of a blend or single-leaf that you won't get with a flavored drink.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
This is fascinating. I haven't the expertice to add anything useful other than my experience, that when I smoke a blend high in nicotine, an alcoholic beverage will mellow out the nicotine, making it pleasantly intoxicating rather than nauseating.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Personal experiences:
- Mac Baren 7 Seas Regular blend tastes amazingly well after a spicy (black pepper spice) lentil soup.

- Dunhill Early Morning Pipe pairs well with black tea.

- Solani 633 pairs well with ice water.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
i don't always have the time or selection of beverages to be exacting with beverage pairings, but I do think that straight black tea (no extra flavors, like P&G Tips) goes nicely with many English and Balkan blends, and green tea complements Virgnias and Va/Pers, it seems to me.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
There are a few drinks I think of as universal palate cleansers - coffee, tea, club soda, light lagers, dry white wines. Acidity, carbonation, and tannins will keep the tongue fresh, and all of the drinks mentioned have at least one of those properties. Of all of them, I drink coffee most often, but it's probably the least effective palate cleanser of the bunch because it has the longest finish (aftertaste).
Russ

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
I do think that straight black tea (no extra flavors, like P&G Tips) goes nicely with many English and Balkan blends, and green tea complements Virgnias and Va/Pers, it seems to me

+2 on that ...........

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Mountain Dew
The above is in tribute to Cosmic
I quit drinking alcohol a while back and now only sparkling water or coffee (sometimes tea) with pipe tobacco or cigars. Honestly, it makes a difference. The flavors really pop.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
Thanks for posting and putting together this pairings list.
My go-to has been black coffee or tea. A red wine, dark ale or single malt are my favourite alcohol beverages with a pipe.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I need to expand my drinking horizons.

About all I have is brown water.

Coffee, whiskey and beer are my usual smoking libations.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Really I can drink Mountain Dew with anything, but when I'm feeling the need to pair drinks with smoke;
Aromatics and Burley-Coffee
Virginias and VaPers-Earl Grey
Latakia-Lemonade
I prefer to drink spirits on their own to fully enjoy them on their own merits.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Really I can drink Mountain Dew with anything, but when I'm feeling the need to pair drinks with smoke;
Aromatics and Burley-Coffee
Virginias and VaPers-Earl Grey
Latakia-Lemonade
I prefer to drink spirits on their own to fully enjoy them on their own merits.
Same here Duane. I can pair 7up with anything, especially cigars, it is a nice palate cleanser. +1 on pairing Earl Grey with Va and Va/Pers. I don't like drinking alcohol while smoking pipe either, but beers are paired really well with cigars, especially weizens with dark wrappers.

Status
Not open for further replies.