PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
This is not the first time I’ve encountered this on P&C. They are running a sale on Stanwell Brushed Black pipes for $49.95 and all of them include (if you wish one) a bonus piper stand for a minimal added charge of only $1.00. However, and this is a big however; there are NO pictures of them!
Granted, they show some images of the pipes but they are not associated with any of the Model Numbers of which there are 38. When you click on the image for any of the 38 available models each and every one comes up with their infamous ‘Image Coming Soon’! However, it doesn’t end there. Each and every description for each model reads as:
Rustic Briar Pipe
Bowl Shape - Assorted
Stem Shape - Assorted
What the hell is this... a freaking grab bag! Just arbitrarily pick out a model number and wait and see what you get! Hey, I’ve got a novel idea! How about waiting until they can properly post all of the images for pipes that they wish to place up sale on the site BEFORE they try to sell them! Of course we then have the scenario that when they finally do get around to posting all of the images for these pipes that the sale will no longer be available. Imagine that...
F’ing unbelievable, and rant over. :wink:

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
at $49 a pipe it probably isn't worth the time and effort to take and post pictures.

Jan 8, 2013
They do that a lot. The Build Your Own deal was similar, you could get a Stanwell Specialty Black 9mm pipe in the package, but there was no telling which model. Some people got N4's, some got 172's, I got a 198. I even tried email and phone asking, to see if I could figure it out ahead of time. Although, I do like the 198. Stocky little F-er.
What I believe it come down to, and I know it's frustrating, is that they bought a large quantity of the Brushed Stanwells. And I am guessing they got quite a deal on the bulk lot. So rather than trying to sort them, photograph them, etc, they are out to move them fast at a low price. I don't doubt for a minute that the pipe you will get will be worth at least what you paid for it, just might not be a shape your too keen on. But, hey, you got a good deal...
If I am not mistaken, cigarsinternational.com is owned by the same people, and they also do these "we bought a ton at bulk pricing so we are moving them out fast" deals. Although, with cigars, it is easier for me to take a leap of faith. Hell, if I don't like the cigar, it is gone after I smoke it, a pipe might be with you for a long time.
In the end, if you aren't real picky about your shapes, I say go for it. On the other hand, if you are particular, skip it. Other deals will come up.
Oh, and google search "stanwell brushed 38", maybe you can find a pic elsewhere.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
at $49 a pipe it probably isn't worth the time and effort to take and post pictures.
Really! Then in your estimation pictures of Baraccini, Dr. Grabow pipes, etc. should also not have pictures and not worth the 'effort'.
Oh, and google search "stanwell brushed 38", maybe you can find a pic elsewhere.
Actually the number 38 I referred to is the amount of models that they have, and not a model number itself.
Anyway, I contacted them on this absurdity and they just responded by saying that their Merchandising Department is looking into it.
I don't consider $50.00 as being a grab bag, see what you get and maybe I'll be satisfied. After all, when I spend $5 to $7 on a MM cob I like to know which cob I'm getting and not just consider myself lucky to be getting one!

Jan 8, 2013
I agree. It's not so much about the cost, I just like knowing that I am buying something I want. Don't expect a solid answer from them. Not bashing, but I never got one. Fortunately it worked out, but I don't think I will be chancing it again.
My mistake on the model number/number of models thing. ADHD at it it's finest.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I agree, phil...It's a grab bag arrangement. They could at least post a representative photo to see what you can expect for your fifty bucks. I don't think any of us would buy tools that way, so why a pipe?
That's basically what I was saying.
Not at all sure if the rest of you are rich, but being retired and living on pension; shelling out $50.00 for something unseen is a tad rich for my blood.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
+1 on what ae1pt writes.
$49 on a new Stanwell is a steal and while this page and arrangement that P&C has is less than desired, it can be figured out. And I think the minor trouble is well worth it for the price.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I noticed that some in the order column actually have pictures on hover--most don't though.
Looks like they've rectified the issue with some of pipes as when I made my post none of them had an image.
I certainly won't pay any of you guys to do a research project for me!
I don't feel that it is up to me to research something that should most obviously have been done properly in the first place by P & C.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I'm on their notification list for a couple of tobaccos, but none of them are yet in stock so I can't really answer your question.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Pictures often take hours after uploading to actually showing up on the site. We'd love to get everything up all at the same time, but it often doesn't work out that way.
Russ

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012

Really! Then in your estimation pictures of Baraccini, Dr. Grabow pipes, etc. should also not have pictures and not worth the 'effort'.

Actually the number 38 I referred to is the amount of models that they have, and not a model number itself.
Anyway, I contacted them on this absurdity and they just responded by saying that their Merchandising Department is looking into it.
I don't consider $50.00 as being a grab bag, see what you get and maybe I'll be satisfied. After all, when I spend $5 to $7 on a MM cob I like to know which cob I'm getting and not just consider myself lucky to be getting one!
POSTED 4 HOURS AGO #
wonder if it was anyone but P&C if folks would have become so stressed.. they seem to be the kid to bully these days.
when someone has an offer that I don't like I just move on.. but, I do hope you enjoy your new stanwell after all the stress it caused you.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Happy for the post... Might not have seen the offer without it although my P&C monthly catalog did arrive today... I ordered 2 of these with stands. Great deal I think.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
wonder if it was anyone but P&C if folks would have become so stressed.. they seem to be the kid to bully these days.
when someone has an offer that I don't like I just move on.. but, I do hope you enjoy your new stanwell after all the stress it caused you.
Bullying! No, not at all, but just simply stating a straightforward issue/fact that should not be allowed to happen. As a matter of fact, I do 90% of my business with P & C and I did so again today. As for stress, that was never an issue and it certainly isn’t going to happen at the age of 67 as it doesn’t really mean squat to me in the whole grand scheme of things. Again… I was just simply stating an issue that I personally do not think is right when one is running a business.
As for Russ stating that it takes several hours to get the images up that just doesn’t wash as I noticed the lack of images Sunday morning and they still are not up except for about 5 or 6. What I’m referring to is the images that one can click onto next to the Model # (so they know exactly what they are purchasing) in the image I provided. But hey... if that’s how they think it proper to sell pipes, @$50.00 or not, all the power to them! 'nough said... :wink:
screen.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can get some good smoking pipes for $50 and less, but you have to work hard, do your homework,

and a lot of comparison shopping. With no pictures or real definition of the pipe you are ordering, this

is really apt for newbies only, who are willing to take pot luck in order to get a Stanwell at about half price.

For anyone with more than three pipes, this might not work, because of duplication on shape, size, finish,

etc. But the price is certainly good, if the pictures ever surface. I surmise that in online retail, the web site

has to work really well, and in a user-friendly way, or people tend to deflect to other sites.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Oh my--this is a $76 pipe that they're selling for $50. Looks to me like a great deal. I'm one of these people who are fond of Stanwells. Got my first one, a number 10, 45 years ago, and have added to my collection every few years. This may be one of those years. Thanks, Russ, for offering such a great sale.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Already picked up one and now am thinking about another--great deal for Stanwells despite working around the system a bit. Unfortunately a number of them I fancy are out of stock, especially this one:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/66572/stanwell-night-day-pipes/
Did a google search on this style and not many retailers carry it, and those that do are also sold out! :crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.