PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I just didn't have the funds this year. I'm definitely disappointed that I missed out on the book. I don't recall them doing books in the past. What a cool idea. Negativity for free gifts just seems silly. We are definitely lucky that they still do it at all.
PM me your address and I will send you my extra copy.

doverpipes

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
CHINESE CORN COB PIPES? WTF???

Three garbage Chinese cobs. I would have rather had a single Missouri Meerschaum......

Not smoking Chinese cobs, nope not going to do it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I didn't buy anything from P&C on this IPSD, but I do understand some of the disappointment. You're expecting "goodies" -- and they must be good because the company is going out of its way to provide them. But a free bag of crap is still crap, and being disappointed is not the same as lacking appreciation for what the company did. They offered a 20% discount! That's better than anybody else, as far as I know.

Jan 8, 2013
Free's free, it's as simple as that in my opinion. You won't see me complaining if my Goodie Bag comes with cheap Chinese cobs. Heck, even if I don't think I'll ever smoke them, I can still do something with them... give them away, save them for a snow man, paint them red and green and throw glitter on them and a wire to make a Christmas tree ornament. I've already got the book, but I offered the new one to a friend of mine, so that's all good. And if I don't like the tobacco, I'll gift that as well. They offered a 20% discount, plus they lowered their free shipping limit. I was more than happy with that.

groovesmith75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2014
I gave all 3 of my Chinese cobs to a friend last night he doesn't have a pipe, gave him a tamper and some tobacco. I did forget the cleaners lol.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
All I know, I got home tonight, got my package out of the mail, opened it up, went straight to my NEW Peterson Outdoorsman 68, filled it with some Vintage Syrian, and am enjoying it right now. The free goodies haven't even been touched yet....I got my 20% off and I'm golden. :puffy:

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I was happy with the free book (although I did notice they misspelled Henderson, NC in a picture caption near the end, my mother's family is from Henderson so the extra "s" stuck out like a sore thumb). I'll never smoke the Chinese cobs since I have so many quality MM cobs lying around but I'm not complaining about something that is free. I bought for the 20% off not hoping I'd get something amazing in the goodie bag.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I'm reserving one of the chinese cobs for Mixture 79. I couldn't resist grabbing a 2 ounce sample given the hype 79 has received recently on the youtubes.

MAN, that stuff smells GODawful yet oddly appealing in a "Watch me smoke THIS" circus tent sort of way. :laughat:

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Shoot, freebies were one of the things that got me interested in pipes in the first place. Freebies were from,like, YEARS ago but still done by tobacconists? It convinced me that there was something special to the hobby. Good on you P&C. Honorable, old style retail lives on.
Plugugly

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Yesterday, I received the goodie bag. Today, I received an email saying that my order of Drexel VII and a copy of the Pipes book had shipped. Strange, but I hear the Drexel is surprisingly good. I already had a copy of the book. It’s pretty good for someone who’s just getting into the hobby.

doverpipes

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
Macanudo travel cup?

I didn't receive one of those!

I would rather have that than the three Chinese garbage cobs........

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
In the past it was a lot easier to ask for help from our business partners, but with regulations, a tight economy, etc., fewer companies have "swag" available. Some companies have still contributed, and for that, we're very grateful. We will do our best to keep the ball rolling, but it keeps getting harder to do.
Russ

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Russ, there will always be people who will never be happy, a fact of life. I am one of those people who has always been grateful for all you try to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.