PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Sable, the unfortunate reality is that B&Ms do not exist as an option for a lot of us. I prefer to support local and have even managed 2 B&Ms in the past. I live in a large metropolitan area and the closest 'real' pipe tobacco store is TobaccoPipes in Tampa (200 mile away) which, has an online presence.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I would, also, like to add that if we do not support the online stores they, too, will go the way of the dodo. FDA issues aside, these online stores support these forums, are a primary source for many of us, and if they disappear...

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Dcon:

If you don't have a pipe specific B&M within 50 or 60 miles, then talk to the owner of your nearest "vape" or cigarette shop. They can sign up and purchase from the same wholesalers as all the pipe-based B&Ms. Just commit to purchasing what they get for you.
I picked up several tins of FVF, Wessex, and Rattray's last year that were consistently out of stock online by chatting with the owners of a local outlet shop that I pass daily on my commute. I'm fortunate to have two great B&Ms within 30-minutes of me (Blacksburg Tobacco and Milan Brothers), but a third very convenient stop on the way home is a nice addition.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
jeff540, I have actually had several "vape" stores make such an offer. I will say, from experience, that just because you have a retail license and can purchase at wholesale, not everything is available to buy. Unobtanium, is just that for a lot of these startup vape-smoke shops as well. Volume requirements and waiting lists (yes, they exist for retailers, too) preclude a lot of these stores getting involved in the legitimate pipe tobacco business.
I am, also, not inclined to support businesses that are assisting the decline of the pipe smoking that I prefer.
If I have to go on a phone hunt to find an accommodating B&M (honestly, I am sure that I could ){lots of good folks in this business}that time could secure my needs online and help keep another reliable source alive.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sable, the unfortunate reality is that B&Ms do not exist as an option for a lot of us. I prefer to support local and have even managed 2 B&Ms in the past. I live in a large metropolitan area and the closest 'real' pipe tobacco store is TobaccoPipes in Tampa (200 mile away) which, has an online presence.
L.A. has little to no pipe tobacco left. I prefer to support local, but local has left the station. Your reality is my reality, and I chose not to accept that and did something about it.
The closest B&M I deal with is about 800 miles from me and has no online presence. You find B&M's and make calls until you make a connection, become a regular customer, even if it's by phone and by mail, buy various tobaccos and goods like any local would, and as a good customer, get your unobtainium when it shows up.
EDIT:

I would, also, like to add that if we do not support the online stores they, too, will go the way of the dodo. FDA issues aside, these online stores support these forums, are a primary source for many of us, and if they disappear...
Odds are that online sales of tobacco will be banned, so you're playing long odds here. These businesses will not disappear. There's this thing called mail order.
It's not an either/or. But I'd put my bets on B&M's if I had to make a choice for the longer term.

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Last Update for P&C...

"Thank you for contacting Pipes and Cigars! Regrettably, there was an inventory error with the Esoterica pipe tobacco, and we will be unable to fulfill this order. We are very sorry for any frustration this may have caused. We have forwarded your concerns to our management team, and an agent will be reaching out to you as soon as possible. If we can assist you with anything further in the meantime, please let us know. We’ll be happy to help!"
Time for me to move onto a New thread for the next dump of Tobacco....

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thought.....what would go a long way is to contact people who had their orders canceled as soon as the next shipment arrives, before it’s posted ‘In Stock’ on the website.
After a previous problem, they issued those affected with $50 gift cards.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Time for me to move onto a New thread for the next dump of Tobacco....
Hey cohibajoe. Even though this last drop turned into a train wreck, please understand I (we) appreciate your efforts. Your personally responsible for fattening my Margate stash and it's very much appreciated.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I bought almost all of my SG Best Brown, Full Virginia and St James flakes in the summer of 2012 I bought most of it from small mom and pops with little to no internet presence. These people were more than happy to sell in 5 pound lots with no limits. Hell one guy was giving me a 10% discount for 5 pounds and over.

If I were looking for any SG now, I would be calling small mom and pops in the low tax states. Don't start asking for SG right off the bat, start with a couple of your other favorite blends and then feel them out for the SG. Cherry pickers are a turn off for most tobacconists.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The problem has been identified. There's a problem synchronizing the software that handles the warehouse, shipping, and inventory, and the software that's behind the website. Now that we know what the problem is, we should be able to fix it before the next shipment gets here. We understand the frustration and anger that some of you experienced because there were moments of the same emotions going on here as we saw what was going on and were trying to fix it and do damage control. Our sincerest apologies to everyone affected by this issue. We're hoping that IT will have it fixed shortly.
Russ

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
After a previous problem, they issued those affected with $50 gift cards.
Try a $5 coupon (the response I received). :rofl:
The problem has been identified. There's a problem synchronizing the software that handles the warehouse, shipping, and inventory, and the software that's behind the website.
Glad you figured it out. I'll be sure not to spend my coupon all in one place. :lol:

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I just heard from customer service that some people are claiming that I told them that we would issue a $20 coupon to customers affected by this situation. Please let me clarify something - I am not management and do not have the authority to issue coupons or credit to anyone. So if you hear of this rumor, it's just that - a rumor. As a kind of "point man" for P&C, I might inform you of things that management has approved, but I don't make decisions for the company.
Russ

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Coupon/credit offers would be a nice gesture, but a notification would be more important. Some of us never even got a note saying our orders were cancelled, and had to find out they were canceled by logging into the site and checking. What’s up with that?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Some of us never even got a note saying our orders were cancelled, and had to find out they were canceled by logging into the site and checking. What’s up with that?
I suspect that it's all part of the sync issue that caused the problem in the first place. I spoke to management and was told that IT will be working to make sure this doesn't happen again. This should mean that there should be no need for notifications in the future.
Russ

kdfva

Lurker
Nov 14, 2018
As many have stated, several online suppliers notify upon receiving high demand tobaccos and only take payment, and ship quickly, at the point of sale. Spend your money where you are appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.