Everlasting, world without end,

Mannikin, maiden, Maenad, man,

In the might of Pan.

Io Pan! Io Pan Pan! Pan! Io Pan!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Made sense to me.
Under-rated: Royal Yacht, Old Joe Krantz, Irish Flake, Burley Flake #1, Brown Twist Sliced

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Underrated:
Obscure German tobacco, ie: HU Director's Cut and Motzek Strang and curly cut. Also, Makhuwa, Old Fredders, Indaba, and a few more. Nothing made domestically matches them, though there are other, more easily obtainable blends that I like as much.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Ok, I just have to add this... McClellands Blakeney's Best Latakia Flake. It seems the no one but me likes this stuff. I know that taste is a subjective thing, but I have always liked this blend. No, it's not as good as Penzance, but it is good on its own merits. Try some now and hate me later... :mrgreen:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Why is it that I can't get that "Quote" function to work?
Because you're doing it backward.
[ quote ] Text to be quoted. [ /quote ]
It takes some patience. Computers are not smart.

kamikaze

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
It takes some patience. Computers are not smart.
I usually tell people that computers are only as smart and perfect as the people who programmed/built them.
I think most, if not all, OTC blends are vastly underrated. Of the 2 GLP blends I've tried, it is my opinion that they are mostly overrated. I do plan on trying more blends, just to see if my opinion changes. :puffy:

Jun 27, 2016
Bah. I'm never going to get used to that "tag" bar thing in the right corner. Sorry, I tagged the post with Syrian Star because I thought it was a search bar while I was thinking if it fits into this thread. I don't think that it does. McClellands GKCPC Syrian Star is probably under-the-radar, more than it is under-rated. I don't think that they always make this blend, so it's been a little scarce to see it in stock online for a while now, except for a place or two. My 2014 tin is very good. I'd say that due to its Cyprian/Syrian Latakia combo, it's a little more interesting to smoke than my '14 3 Oaks Syrian, and also seems a little sweeter and smoother. It is also probably more interesting and sweeter to smoke than my '09 Cyprian Star, which seems like a creamier version of my '15 Blue Mountain/Balkan Blue. :puffpipe:

Oct 7, 2016
Under rated, based on the kinds of blends that seem to be popular these days
Esoterica Pembroke, though since you can't ever find it in stock, someone must rate it highly. I rarely see it discussed. Damn pleasant smoke.
Smokers Haven Exotique and Cognac-. In stock, made by Germain, similar enough to Esoterica Margate and Pembroke, if not identical. I am now ordering a couple of tins of each just in case I start a rush :)

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Smoking Perique tastes, to me, like eating a handful of black pepper!
Awh, delicious! I love pepper. It is a lot more dimensional to me and none of the different Periques that I've tried were very spicy. In other words, I can dispose of any unfortunate Perique that finds itself in your cellar....

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Dan's Devil's Holiday seems underrated to me. I could roll around in the stuff, but you all never seem to show it any love.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Smokers Haven Exotique and Cognac-. In stock, made by Germain, similar enough to Esoterica Margate and Pembroke, if not identical. I am now ordering a couple of tins of each just in case I start a rush :)

Yessir, I actually prefer Cognac and Exotique to their Esoteric counterparts, both are a little pricey but well worth it.
Dan's Devil's Holiday seems underrated to me. I could roll around in the stuff, but you all never seem to show it any love.

You're right, I think a lot of the Dan Tobacco aromatics are underrated ie, Black Velvet, Davinci and Blue Note are excellent aromatics! Devil's Holiday is an excellent cherry blend that I prefer to Blood Red Moon.
Warrior Plug = Overrated. I just acquired several pouches and with my limited experience with it, it doesn't seem to offer anything that Peterson's Perfect Plug (3P) can't offer. Therefor I must add:
3P = Underrated
These opinions can change at anytime, which is why I was hesitant to write this. Tomorrow I could be exclaiming that Warrior Plug is the best tobacco blend in existence! For now, I'll stick with overrated and continue hunting down the plugs worth the asking price, Condor, Revor.

Jun 27, 2016
Exotique has a 3.5 out of 4 on TobaccoReviews website, with 18 four star and 12 three star reviews out of 33 total, so not sure if it is under-rated. Probably off of a lot of peoples radar, or the price might turn some people off. I found it to be somewhat different than Margate (and anything else in my drawer), where I found the Margate more similar to the current Our Best Blend or Balkan Sobranie, with the OBB having considerably less Latakia than those two. The Exotique has a little more Latakia than the OBB just for comparison, but like I said, it is different than anything else that I have.
Here's one thing that I thought of that is over-rated. The chips of Latakia in Margate tasting like Penzance. =)

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I'm firmly in the "to each his own" camp ... but in the spirit of the discussion:
Overrated- Anything with Latakia in it. I very rarely find myself in the mood for it.
Underrated- PA and CH seem to catch a lot of undeserved hate in my opinion. I'm also I also don't hear much chatter on the forums about Blackwoods Flake, which is probably my favorite of McClelland's offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.