PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
This is an incomplete question.
Over/Underrated in relation to price, smoking characteristics, flavor, strength? In relation to its rating on tobaccoreviews.com?
That's like asking if someone is too short. Too short for what? To ride rides at Disneyland (which ones?), to drive, to reach the dishes on the top shelf?

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
One specific - Germain's mediocre version of Balkan Sobranie. Yecccchhhh! Really, they should be paying you to take it off the shelves.
I normally would not participate in a thread like this due to everyone's differing tastes, but I *must* concur with this. I bought 3 tins of it based on unobtanium status alone. Had a few bowls and found it sour and thin. Gifted the remainder of the open tin. Traded the 2 unopened tins for some SG tins and was glad to do it. Hopefully the recipient just loves the BS (absolutely no pun intended...).

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
The most over rated blend in my 30 or years has to be Blue Note. Man did it get high praise for a while!

Most under rated IMHO is McClelland Oriental # 8. Maybe.

Mike S.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Dark Fired Kentucky is a burley lots of smokers enjoy."
Well said Duane, and methinks blends containing such, particularly those containing the African varieties thereof are in the ascendancy and as soon as this becomes more acknowledged in the States will rapidly become scarce due to those who choose to hoard more tobacco than they're ever likely to smoke.
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Underrated Blend: Balkan Sasieni

Overrated Blend(s): Obscure German Tobacco, ie: Directors Cut, Strang. (Sure they're good blends but we got plenty easy to get blends just as good if not better here in the States.)

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The most over rated blend in my 30 or years has to be Blue Note. Man did it get high praise for a while!

It's one of my favorites! Absolutely stellar! It's what Mac Baren Vanilla Cream and GL Pease Virginia Cream wish they could be.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Smoking Perique tastes, to me, like eating a handful of black pepper!
In my experience, it depends on what it is mixed with, in what amount, and how the blend is married or topped.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Not so much under-rated as under-reviewed/discussed, McClelland Orient 996

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
@samcoffeeman, I agree, really anything under the McConnell brand is underrated, and not discussed much. I list many of them as my favorites.

bh-pipe-600x448.jpg

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
anything with Perique!
Man, you're not supposed to smoke the damn stuff straight (but you can), it is usually best used in condimental amounts with other baccy, and the world would be all the lesser without it!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Man, you're not supposed to smoke the damn stuff straight (but you can), it is usually best used in condimental amounts with other baccy, and the world would be all the lesser without it!
ROFL!!!

I don't get "fruit notes" like some people. No sweetness or "earthy tones". Just black pepper! I've had Virginia Woods, St. James Woods, even Nightcap. Just pepper!

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Overrated: Probably anything with the label Estorica Tobacciana on it -_-

Underrated: Sutliff: Lord of the manor/ Dunhill Royal Yacht.. RY For life

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Underrated: As Cosmic said, Wessex Burley Slices. I stock up on this whenever it's available. You always hear people talking about Solani ABF, but I honestly think that Wessex is the superior product.
Overrated: Sorry... but Stonehaven. It's a decent tobacco, but it is not the unicorn farts that some people make it out to be. I have a couple lbs, but mainly because it will be good trading currency.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
Penzance is good, but I tasted other English blends that are equally delicious!! I think medal of honor is underrated, it is a very good smoke!!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
RY for Life Heard! Throwin' A tin in the Air What!
We need to start a RY Club!
Underrated: Uh...I don't know....C&D Three Friars
Overrated: Unicorn Farts... :nana:

Status
Not open for further replies.