PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have fortunately not found any blends I would consider to be overrated, so I am lucky there.
When it comes to underrated blends, however, I absolutely love Erik Stokkbeye 4th Generation: 1855. It is a wonderful broken flake, straight virginia with a light sweetness and wonderful body to the smoke.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
underrated: Wessex Burley Slice...I think it's well thought of on tobaccoreviews, but I rarely see it mentioned on this board.
Makes me wonder . . . . I have never smoked any Wessex, but it is interesting that some people regard burley as nothing but a cheap tobacco used to soak up the gummy juices of aromatics while others hold it in high regard. Maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
If I were to add an "overrated" blend, my first thought might be Blood Red Moon--- I find no evidence of it being a superior aromatic made on a base of quality tobaccos, as originally claimed by many.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Well, I guess it stands up to reason. Some people think broccoli is nothing but a cheap weed used to soak up cheese sauce or ranch dressing, other people think it's actually food.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
More Under-rated:

Lane Dark Red

Sutliff Creme Brulee

Voodoo Queen

Match Revelation
More Over-rated:

Billy Bud

St. James Woods

RLP-6

1-Q

BCA

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'm going to break it down to manufacturers based on my personal experience:

Under - McClellands, H&H

Over - GLP, Lane

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Cosmic, nothing Lane sells would blow my mind as high selling baccy. In every B&M, Smoke shop or cigar place I've ever been in Lane stuff is for sale. 1Q is easily one of the most renamed tobaccos in history.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
As far as underrated, I don't think we hear enough about Black Frigate, Royal Yacht or "insert tobacco here" in a cob! I just wish that these blends would finally get their due. :nana:

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
+1 on Penzance being over rated.

Underrated:. McConnell Scottish cake, just cause it's my favorite and I don't hear people talk about it much.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I won't get involved in the Over Rated debate; to each his/her own.
But one of the most Under Rated tobaccos is definitely Gordon Pym. Lovers of Presbyterian should give this one a try...and before all the Syrian is gone!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Overrated are the blends that get widely hyped but that are mostly unavailable. Underrated are blends that many re-order over time but that are always available.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Overrated are the blends that get widely hyped but that are mostly unavailable. Underrated are blends that many re-order over time but that are always available.
I might have stolen that from someone.
I also like the "to each his own" approach. It doesn't matter what you smoke, long as you like it. But, in the spirit of the question, here're my picks:
Overrated: Dunhill Flake

Underrated: D&R Picayune

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
OTC's. Despite their current fad status among pipe "hobbyists", historically they were smoked by the working-class who were either unaware or uninterested that anything of better quality existed, or couldn't afford it
This guy gets me :rofl:

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Sorry, Brother! Smoking Perique tastes, to me, like eating a handful of black pepper! As for Penzance, I can think of more than a dozen English blends I prefer to it. Funny, because I love other Esotericas: Margate, Pembroke, Stonehaven are my favorites!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Sorry, Brother! Smoking Perique tastes, to me, like eating a handful of black pepper! As for Penzance, I can think of more than a dozen English blends I prefer to it. Funny, because I love other Esotericas: Margate, Pembroke, Stonehaven are my favorites!

Status
Not open for further replies.