PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm smoking mostly over-the-counter blends right now, letting some goodies in tins

age a bit. It interests me that the OTC's aren't the big disappointment they are often

seen as being. Granger, Borkum Riff Bourbon, Five Brothers and some others are

satisfying, dependable blends. They aren't the taste experience of Dunhill MM 965,

Nightcap, or even some of my bulk blends, but they are good, dependable, flavorful

blends. It's kind of a vacation from the quest for the peak experience. OTC's are

tobaccos you don't have to behold to enjoy, and that's kind of good.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I admit it, I was a tobacco snob. Then a friend offered me some Captain Black. Now, all of the CB's are in my cellar along with Carter Hall, and Amphora Red.
Still a little concerned about the additives, but I don't smoke them continually, just occasionally.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I smoke around a bowl a day and sometimes more on the weekend. I'm very sensitive to nicotine (read, nicotine wimp) and so my number one smoke is Carter Hall. I like the simple nuttiness of the blend, the cost factor doesn't hurt at all and I use my other favourite blends, SG BBF, Escudo and MM 965 as "treats" for when I really have the time to sit down and contemplate what's in the bowl. I couldn't agree with you more!

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I admittedly turn my nose up at OTC tobaccos, but I have been reading a lot of people saying that there is some quality behind them. Maybe I should give them a chance, and pop into Walgreens on the way home today.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Yeah, yeah. I smoke expensive VA flakes and all that stuff. But IMO Captain Black Rocks. Mix it with some 5 brothers and man o man it satisfies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Every now and then I revisit the OTCs and recall why I don't smoke them regularly. I don't smoke my pipes constantly so the bulk blends and tins do just fine for me without breaking the bank now that I have cured my PAD.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
One of my favorite smells is the Capt Black White. Smells so good and sweet. I still smoke it at work from time to time, but the only thing that kind of turns me off to it is the bite.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Glad to hear, I actually did keep a pouch for myself. I smoke it when I go up to my trailer, the neighbours love the smell.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
May not be the case for everyone, but where I live the OTC stuff just isn't worth it based on local prices. Last time I picked up some Captain Black at CVS (pre tobacco ban announcement) it was around $8.00 and change for a 1.5 ounce pouch. I can go to the local B&M and get any of several decent bulks for $4.25 an ounce.
Of the OTC stuff that I have tried, I actually liked PA quite a bit. Even then, price per ounce vs. a McClelland bulk I can get locally just doesn't make it a good buy.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Not to hijack this thread but has anyone tried captain blacks new blends? Red sky is a cherry aromatic and it's pretty good, I havnt tried there other cherry Aros so I can't compare.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I admit I do go on my Carter Hall runs! I will go a good 3 months only smoking carter hall for some reason. It actually is a good burley. I also mix it with some "crappier" aromatics that I get stuck with. And for 3 bucks at my local grocery store, you cant beat it!

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
May not be the case for everyone, but where I live the OTC stuff just isn't worth it based on local prices.
Same here. At the local b&m, Captain Black is $32 for a pouch, and Peterson tins are $34. MacBaren pouches are $29, so the "OTC" isn't a bargain.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
MSO, you used the word "dependable" twice in describing OTCs. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but "dependable" in what way? And are they more "dependable" than higher end blends?
Also, maybe I'm a bit thick but when you write, "OTC's are tobaccos you don't have to behold to enjoy", what does that mean exactly?
OTCs are not my thing but I know you and many, many others enjoy them. I'm just trying to understand the "why?"

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Bigvan, a lot of tobaccos are temperamental in how you smoke them, what moisture level they are, age, size bowl you smoke them in ect. All of these factors enhance enjoyment but sometimes you just want to light up and read, or what else it is your doing and you just want something that taste good. OTC are dependable in that since. If I'm wrong in interpreting your posts let me know.

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
@msandoval: same here, the last 1.5 oz pouch of Captain Black I bought was $8.50, (I wanted to hang out in the smoking lounge at the shop and felt I should buy something).
However, even without considering the price I just would rather smoke my favorites, (965, Nightcap, Blackhouse etc). Nothing wrong with smoking what you like though, whatever that is at the time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
wnghanglow got my drift on the "dependable" claim about OTC's. About how you don't have to "behold to enjoy,"

I just meant that with an nuanced blend, I want to stop and experience the tobacco, its intricacy and changes.

With most OTC's, you enjoy them without having to focus on them as much. Sorry if that was not (somewhat)

clear. I am interested that OTC tobaccos are comparatively expensive in other places. Where I am, they are

an inexpensive smoke. I do like the more select bulk and tinned tobacco, but I'm enjoying coming back to

more ordinary blends now that I have to use them up.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Thanks, Wng. Yes, you interpreted my ham-fisted question correctly. And "something that tastes good" is all I ever want. My preference is for McClelland's Arcadia, Celebrated Sovereign, 5100 and the like, but I've never had a problem with any of them when it comes to just packing, lighting and enjoying. I don't give too much thought to bowl dimensions and I never dry tobacco, so to me virtually ALL tobacco is "dependable".
Where I live, "the good stuff" isn't that much more expensive than OTCs and to me the quality of higher end blends from McClellands and C&D is WELL worth the price.
Forgive my dissent. Perhaps I'm still stumped by the "behold to enjoy" statement.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
When I started smoking a pipe in college some 40 years ago there was a B&M on my way to and from campus, so I bypassed drugstore pipes and OTC tobaccos. And as little as I smoke these days the cost differential just isn't significant, so I stick with Erik Stokkebye 1931, Royal Yacht and Nightcap as my aro, non-aro and English respectively. I'm sure some of the OTCs aren't half bad...but I'd rather stay with all-good ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.