PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch11

Lurker
Nov 18, 2018
This coming weekend I will be visiting one of my good friends who recently bought quite a bit of forest land a few hours outside of the city. Were planning to walk around the woods and check it out. So besides making sure that the dog and I are equipped for the cold and we have a compass/gps, i thought about which tobacco might be good to bring along. What do you guys recommend?

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
My personal preference would be an english blend. Something with a fair proportion of latakia for a lunt on a winter's day. When I started out smoking pipes, I used to take walks in the winter of northern Alberta and my tobacco of choice was Samuel Gawith Commonwealth. Live on the east coast now and still love my latakia when the cold winds blow.

mitch11

Lurker
Nov 18, 2018
meatball, i was thinking english also since virginia might burn really hot if theres a breeze. ill check for commonwealth at my local store this week. Have you tried Peterson Balkan Delight or Davidoff English Mixture? I believe they had those last time i checked.
3rdguy, yes if its windy the pipe will have to wait!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Mac Baren: HH Old Dark Fired folded and stuffed in a Meer would be my ghoice...

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
I had a smoke that I haven't forgotten from a walk in the woods last winter with MB Navy Flake.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Might be time to try out a wind cap if you have one on hand, and/or using a deep bowl pipe filled about 2/3rds to provide a wind block. A brim that already has a bit of char would be good, to not char one up. For tobacco, I'd like something strong enough, but not so you'd get too much nicotine if you kept smoking, on and off, over two hours or so. I might grab Old Joe Krantz, Night Bayou, or Tuggle Haul 965; Chestnut, Semois, or Billy Budd. A lighter would be good, but you can use trees and such for a wind break, if you have the time and patience. You can use your hands to cup the pipe, or get down behind berms, etc. Or you can find a spot to hunker out of the wind and use the smoking as a break. Don't forget a pipe tool and a few pipe cleaners.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
The old Dunhill windscreen design is purpose built for this. Well, actually for speeding down the highway in a fast car, but also this.
DSC_2028_1024x1024.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.