PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
There are a bunch of threads on White Knight already. Some are not that old. But I started a new thread for two reasons.
1. No one else said, "A light, crisp beer." It's been on my list to try for some time. And I'm sorry I did get on this band wagon much, much earlier.
2. It represents another form of delayed gratification, I think.
Start with that. How many times have you seen a blend you *want* to try, but you just can't put yet another tin in your order? You draw the line and say, "Maybe next time." There are so many that our forum members' good tastes applaud -- I want to try them all. But... on my budget, I have to put it on the delayed gratification list.
Now the beer. It was only there for a moment. My true light having caught well, I started to sit, and then momentarily I glanced over my shoulder to see if my neighbor (l'm sitting next to his drive) had come out with a cold Corona with a lime on it.
He was there, but... he's a recovering alcoholic, doing very well. Couldn't have been him.
I nodded and grunted "hi" to him, and that single whiff was gone. Then I settled in to a nice, long, wonderful smoke. I was totally lost in the taste, trying to place the flavors.
I had had no idea what to expect, so I searched the forums for your reviews. A number of you said "citrusy," so that explains that. But I had more of a light beer yeast beneath it. Not sour--sweetened by the hint of lime.
I have no idea what Balkan Sobranie (sp?) is supposed to have tasted like, but I *love* this blend. I could easily smoke this all day (and will try, on Saturday). I don't have any other tobacco like this one.
What else is like it? (Besides BS, of course). This is amazing. Can't wait to share some with my son, a new smoker who won't let go of the life preserver yet (Molto Dulce). Got to tease him into stretching his range now, put his cigarettes away more and more.
Joe

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Not sure how to describe it but I've been smoking through a tin of it for a couple of weeks in several different pipes. It has been excellent in every pipe tried and I can't say that for all blends. It's just "consistent" I guess. Consistent, good and very enjoyable.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
@apatim -- yes! I had it in two pipes so far. And yes, it was the same in both. One was a mid-sized meerschaum=lined Grabow. The other, a king-sized Savinelli. Can't wait to have another bowl, different pipe.
I thought it burned a little quickly.
@chispa -- yes. Next on my list.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I agree, it seems to burn a little more quickly than some blends. My tin is pretty dry as I opened it a few weeks before I really dove into smoking it. I like my tobacco dry so that's okay. Tonight I smoked a bowl in one of my Stanwells that lasted a little over an hour and then smoked a half bowl in a new Churchwarden. All good!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
White Knight is probably my favorite new tobacco this year. I smoked it and a tin of the Germain Sobranie side by side, and while they are different in several ways, I'm darned if I can tell you which is my favorite. White Knight's Orientals seemed much sharper, reminding me of a drier tin of Rattray's Red Rapparee.
As far as tobaccos in the same vein, the above mentioned RRR, Compton's Macedonia, Rajah's Court has moments of brilliance, Pease Caravan (which I think is his best Balkan, of the ones I have tried). If you want a little more Latakia punch Pease Odyssey, Compton's Balkan, and of course Russ's interpretation of Sobranie 759 Black House.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Thanks, Lochinvar!
All -- thought I must have been delusional about the beer reference. Didn't have it again -- until tonight. Loaded a pipe, went to light it and on first singes of the ribbons, there it was. Faintly reminiscent of having a Corona with lime approached my mouth.
Then gone. And it didn't happen again during the smoke. It's just that first moment.

groovesmith75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2014
I thought it was quite dry and didn't burn as well as black house which I love. It was more mild imo so that may work for someone looking for a milder smoke.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I accidentally left my tin open over night. I liked it even better today -- burn-wise. I didn't even need a light past the charm light. It just smoked evenly on its own after catching. I think it filled better, too -- which accounts for that -- having aired overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.