PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crow

Lurker
Jan 13, 2015
Besides smoking a pipe, what other hobbies do you occupy your time with? It's always interesting to see what other people are into.

Other than pipes I also like to shoot guns a lot. I'm into IDPA and competitive pistol shooting, although I've taken about a year long break to finish up school and what not. I'm also into leather tooling. I like to make knife sheaths and tool designs into leather. I'm also really into craft beer, specifically Texas beer (born and raised). What are your hobbies?

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Outside of work, I'm a bladesmith, I do make knives now and again, but focus on historical pieces and swords. I'm also huge into craft beer (and just started brewing it), and do "beercations" to find new breweries and brews (200 breweries in the last 14 months, in 5 countries and 11 states). But yep. Forging, beer, pipes, and work.

crow

Lurker
Jan 13, 2015
Beercations?! I'm definitely adding that to my "to-do" list. Sounds awesome. Bladesmithithing is a trade I'm in total awe of. Any chance to see pics of your work?

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
I flyfish.
Alot, if you ask my wife.
I also duck hunt, and train dogs through Field Trials and Hunt tests.
Other than that, I have kids and a wife who put up with my shit, and they take up most of my time.

crow

Lurker
Jan 13, 2015
Hahaa, Murcia I think that's one thing we all share (a wife that puts up with our shit). God bless our women!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I hunt ... big game or small, although given my background, I mostly enjoy birds. I also write on the subject matter. I have been publishing articles in a local hunting magazine since 2010. And then there are beer mugs, I have this crazy obsession for beer mugs and pints. I have a collection in excess of 50 pieces, made of all sorts of materials ranging from glass, zinc, stone, porcelain, etc ..

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Is being a husband/father a hobby? My daughter and wife take most of my time, and I'm grateful for that. I wouldn't have it any other way. Next in line would be guitar.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I'm prone to being overweight so every morning I either lift weights or go cycling for a couple of hours, I enjoy both but prefer the cycling particularly early morning in the summer.
I love both coarse and fly fishing and it takes up alot of my time. I particularly enjoy a pipe by the river bank waiting for the sun to drop so I can quietly start fly fishing for sea trout.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Here's another for craft beer. Unfortunately, nursing a headache before going in to work this morning for one too many last night. Although, if you had asked me last night I had "just the right amount". I also play guitar and do vocals in a band.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
In no order or close to complete:
Play guitar and gig.

Squirrel hunt with air rifles.

Fish, less than I would like to.

Play golf when I'm lucky.

Ride a motorcycle/s sometimes year round.

Keep chickens and sometimes rabbits.

Garden a bit and sometimes greenhouse.

Metal detect when the notion hits me.

Mess around on the CB radio.

Fix broke things.
Our kids are grown men with busy lives/families of their own, but we spend as much time with our grandchildren (3) as we can. The person I spend the most time with is my wife, she happens to be my favorite person to spend time with.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I'm a widowed father of an eight-year-old son. He takes up most of my time and energy.
When I do have free time, I'm usually riding or customizing motorcycles. I like to build computers, too.
Oh! I also love to cook.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I flyfish every chance I get

I do swiss style chip carving

I build 1:35 scale tanks

reverendsasquatch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Lancaster PA
Like a few of the others, I fly fish. A lot.
Not as much as I'd like, what with 3 kids, working in church ministry (which is NEVER "off the clock"-and part of what I like about pipes because I can pretty much do it anywhere while doing just about anything), but fly fishing is a big part of my life and the life of my family.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Back when I had more free time I liked to backpack, shoot and print black and white photography, wrench on and ride old motorcycles (Triumph, Guzzi, and HD). Did lots of target shooting as well. Played guitar and pedal steel in bar bands for years. About 5 years ago I bought some property and started growing avocados and mushrooms for a living, pretty much single-handed, and that leaves little time for hobbies. However, with my transition to growing and tending to my orchard I took up beekeeping and trying to conquer Scruggs style banjo. If I wasn't growing mushrooms I would try to take beekeeping to a professional level, but there's just not enough time to do both. Beekeeping is a fascinating, relaxing, and deep hobby. I highly recommend it.

flaneuse

Lurker
Nov 12, 2015
I like to play tabletop games, go for long walks (when the weather's nice enough), and write bad poetry.

jmagen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2016
other than pipe SMOKING, I look at pipe and tobacco websites, fill up the online carts, then delete them bc I know better (or I know there's a shipment on the way I should wait for...)

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Pipe smoking is probably my most casual hobby; other than this:
1. Photography - I have been involved with the hobby since I was 14 starting w/B&W film, color, slide and finally digital. While I've sold a few pieces, I give away far more than I sell.

2. Hotrodding/Cars - I've been in love with cars since I was 4. I have a 1955 Chevrolet BelAir that I've owned for 37 years and my wife has a 1955 1st Series Chevy 3100 pickup.

3. Comedy - I've been performing stand-up comedy for about 5 years now. It's much like playing guitar in a band for weddings; fun, creative but not consistent enough to make a living. In other words, don't look for me on HBO anytime soon.

4. I dabble in guitar; as I tell people, "I play at it."

5. Shooting - not competitively, just to keep my skills sharp.
Think that covers most of it...way too much. :lol:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
First off I don't regard pipesmoking as a hobby, it's just 'something I do'.
As for hobbies I make (and photograph) micro-mounts...tiny crystals that need a microscope to view, plus general mineral collecting.
I am also interested in lexicography and philology (and comparative linguistics) so I collect dictionaries (English) and other 'word books'.
All pretty laid back really :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.