PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I like to watch TV and sometimes play the guitar. I live a very mundane and boring life. I used to be an exciting person to be around and had more hobbies, but I've become less interested in people and most things in general as I've grown older.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Other than pipe smoking what are my favourite pastimes? In no particular order ....
1. Fly Fishing (I live in BC Canada and there are fantastic opportunities here)
2. Black & White Film-based photography (I built my own darkroom/man-shed where all my developing and printing takes place -- it is a smashing place to pipe as well)
3. Reading to learn about interests (I like to learn about coding, networking etc. or other fact-based info that has caught my fancy)
4. Spending time with my wife, family and friends
5. Enjoying music (unfortunately my playing skills suck, but I have a good sense of what is beautiful)
6. Walking / hiking (I love trees and spending time out in the mountains is rejuvenating)

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Paint little plastic men and make pew pew nois while me and my friends roll dice aka miniature wargaming. I prefer the sci fi end vs historical so been working on my horus heresy legion.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
15th Century reenactment with full contact steel weapon fighting in plate armor, vocals in a metal band. carving pipes, cooking, painting (especially watercolor), raising and butchering my own rabbits, chickens, and ducks, hunting, taking tea to an obsessive level, and I'm sure there are more but I'll stop there.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
@ Pipestud. NAPS! After starting my job on second shift, 430pm to 3:00 am, sleeping is my favorite thing to do. My wife still doesnt understand (and im constantly catching grief for) why I stay up so late, and enjoy sleeeping all day... :crazy:

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Railfanning and model railroading. I enjoy going out and photographing and videoing trains, and I have a model train layout that I share with my boys.
Naps! I take a nap almost everyday. I love naps, but that's probably because I don't get enough sleep at night so I make up for it during the day. I watch way to much TV, but there are too many good programs on, and there is always sports on.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I enjoy working on my house, I'm always adding this, or changing that, or fixing something.

I also obsessively enjoy deer hunting with bow and gun, and when I'm not deer hunting then I'm thinking about, scouting and preparing for deer hunting.

I also read... a lot, usually whilst smoking my pipes! :puffy:

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
I enjoy going out and photographing and videoing trains,
metalheadycigarguy...you should PM me if you're ever in the Dayton, OH area. I live at the junction of 3 active rail tracks. Plenty of photo ops here. :D

Jun 4, 2014
I enjoy several hobbies model railroading, metal working, wood working, building and shooting muzzleloading firearms.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Off-roading / rock crawling

Deer hunting

Run a farm on the side, fiber animals mostly, about 90 head, along with assorted fowl, rabbits, and horses for pets

Enjoying my three sons learn and grow, strong and proud

Reading

Fishing, but I can't seem to find the time

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
I cannot help but identify living things and keep track of all that I find locally and on my travels. Birds, butterflies, beetles, barklouse, and all sorts of things that start with other letters as well. I am trying to reach out more to the local community of like minded individuals in British Columbia and world wide. Websites like iNaturalist help with that. I work in science and come home and do the same thing but with different organisms and less technology. The number of interesting insects I have found by sitting still and smoking a pipe in my backyard is amazing. It is a great sit and wait strategy as eventually something flies along and lands on my knee.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Great thread. Its nice to know what some of your hobbies are.
My hobbies are: Wood carving, I carve caricatures, walking sticks, and canes.
And I've been metal detecting for more than 40 years.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
When not working, my wife a 3 year old take most of my time. Otherwise I enjoy...
Restoring and riding 80s BMX bikes

Playing guitar

Live local music

Collecting and riding skateboards

Drinking whiskey......a lot of whiskey

Did I mention I like whiskey?

I go to the bar and drink whiskey

Whiskey

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I feel like I don't really get much free time. My teaching schedule is so diverse and demanding that I don't seem to have a lot of time for any major commitments outside of it. In the Spring, I coach Lacrosse. I like to Fly Fish, cook, read, listen to music, work in the yard, write, travel, play video games etc...
The only things I collect or hoard would be Vinyl LPs, vintage sports cards, a handful of OOP books and occasionally pipes and tobaccos.
I'm devoting more time to learning about things that interest me or that benefit me in my job. Psychology, Theology, Philosophy, Physics and Astronomy.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Cigars

Lock picking - it ain't as easy as it looks on TV shows.

Rebuilding - straight razors, making scales, repinning, honing, etc..

Bowling - been in the same Tuesday late league close to 30 years.

Bridge

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
After pipe smoking....

-

I love to take estate pipes and refurb them and make them into what I think they should look like. Keep a few and send the others off too loving homes.

-

Then I read a lot of SciFi/Fantasy

-

And last I collect knives, can't afford the handmade nice once so I just get the one that strike my fancy and are cheap

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
I have a wife and we have three kids, 4 years 18 months and 5 months. On top of that, my schedule as a crane operator at the port of savannah is very unpredictable. When I get to do something away from the house, I'm either fishing (mainly inshore fishing but I'm not picky) or hunting (any and everything but most passionate about chasing turkeys or hunting divers in the salt). At the house, I'm the cook and it's more than a hobby. I am truly passionate about it. I'm also the bartender of classic cocktails and gardening. Things I plan to take up soon include making Mead (which I plan to start this year), beekeeping (years down the road) and woodworking as I have about 10 years experience as a trim carpenter working for my dad. Oh, and cigars. Almost as many cigars as pipes.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@lifesizehobbit - Thanks for the offer. No plans to visit Ohio anytime soon though, but if I do I'll let you know.

Not sure if you are a rail fan, or anyone else on this forum but my YT channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7z2SF15sZ3pfV_VymvNf9A for those interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.