PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have been a member of the Yahoo Group Pipesmokers2 for a good 8 years.

It is not a forum like this, but an old-style email group. Very friendly, very knowledgeable bunch of guys and a few gals. I have learned a lot from them.

I would add that it is, I think, more long-time pipe smokers than newer ones. Several members have contributed reviews to TobaccoReviews.com. The extremely knowledgeable Steve Fallon, AKA Pipestud, has 1,000 reviews on TR. :puffy:

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
In the course of a week, I visit many of the ones mentioned. There's Christianpipersmokers.net that is about half pipe smoking content, but there are some very knowledgable puffers there. The only forum that has an ongoing chat day or night is pipesmokerforum.com, which uses the tagline Banned of Brothers. Most of the regular chatters like it because the chat itself is truly private and not monitored.
hp

les

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
I'm a member of Brothers Of Briar but I'm not sure I've ever posted and rarely frequent. I'm also a member of ChristianPipeSmokers.net and participate there on occasion.
I really don't have the time to frequent too many forums. This site has good content and a good pace - that is, busy enough to keep my interest but not to much to keep up with.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I have seen the other forums but this one is more down to earth . The novice and the simple pipe smoker are welcome here . A trait not often found in some of the other forums .

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Interesting input. Thanks.
I've hardly got time to do this place justice, and am forming some fine online associations here, but always interested in other horizons.

joejumps4fun

Lurker
Dec 30, 2011
Only been puffin' for a little over 3 months...and this is the only pipe forum I belong to. I'm quite happy to be a part of this community :)

Yeah, @igloo it does feel down to earth here. Is it just me or is every pipe smoker just a really great person? Reading this thread makes me feel proud to have joined this group although I must confess, it felt a little "commercial" when I first joined just from the name of the forum ("pipesmagazine.com") and using this forum has been a bit cumbersome for me. Some of the usual forum features are either missing or not functional--clicking "Your Profile" gives me a "Forbidden URL" warning page...what the puff? Still adjusting but glad to be here nonetheless! The only other forum I belong to and post semi-regularly is unicyclist.com (my other hobby!)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm a member of four pipe forums. I consider the DGCF to be my "home" forum. Post more there than any other. After the DGCF I spend more time here than the others.

Jul 15, 2011
I goof around on smokersforums.co.uk and puff.com, but this place was the first that I frequented pretty heavily and all of you guys have made me feel so at home that I just never really felt the need to go anywhere else.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I'm a member of several but I pretty much only lurk, this is the one I post on for the most part.

Same here. This site just fits my speed for interesting and informative articles, a bit of discussion on the forum, and, of course, pipe babes.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
I occasionally read and search through:

Tobaccoreviews

Smokersforum

Pipemakersforum
I take a look at:

Badger & Blade
I avoid like the flu:

Brothersofbriar

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I use this one, I made an account at Puff but it is not as active in the pipes section. Tobaccoreviews is good for researching new blends. I dont think there are any australian forums so its great I have somewhere to share this hobby with other people.

biloxi123

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2011
Layton, UT
I'm a member of Badger and Blade's "Brown leaf" sub-forum. It was there that I learned of this most excellent forum. Did I mention I love Pipemagazine.com?

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Although I browse other places, this is the only site where I participate. There seems to be a wide span of beginners and casual members mixed-in with the more serious participants. As a casual enthusiast, I'm comfortable relaying my experiences and taste observations (although novice in nature) knowing they may be useful to others at my level of depth. When I read threads here about cobs, homemade cherrywoods, OTC blend reviews, and useful pipe-repair tips, I knew I was in the right place.

I don't need to throw gobs of money at a pastime to have fun. Just as well; as I don't have a lot.

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
This is the only pipe board I post on, was on Puff., but every time I posted about a tobacco I was smoking, I got like 2 or 3 people wanting to beg tobacco from me. It got to be a bother.
Been here a long time, just don't post a lot.
Tom

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Smoker's Forums. Carvers like Rad Davis, Chris Askwith, Paul Hubbart, Trevor Talbert and others hang out there, post pictures of their latest creations, etc.
Pipe Makers Forum. Obviously, this is the place for instruction and as much how-to information as you can possibly handle.
I think this place is the best laid out and is the easiest to use. I post here far more often than any of the other forums and check it several times a day. However, if I had a criticism, it would be that it's a little TOO inclusive. By that I mean it's one thing to be accepting and open, but it's another to INSIST that every tobacco review is positive (yes, I'm referring to the infamous "Borkum Riff Incident) and it seems like every pipe is a "good smoker". So you mix in Nestle Quik with your tobacco to make a more chocolatey aromatic? GREAT IDEA! You only paid $2 for a burned out pipe with a broken stem? Sure, you can't smoke it, but it was only two bucks! SUPER!
All kidding aside, I'm not saying we should exclude anybody. Quite the opposite, I think we should be welcoming and educating the rookies to get the most out of their pipe experiences. But what's wrong with being more discerning? If something is of low quality, have the guts to say it. As they say, if everything is "special", then nothing is.

adam12

May 16, 2011
Good points Bigvan. Good points overall. There is a whole lot more positivity here - and a whole lot less criticism - even appropriate criticism - and I can tell there have been times where you were holding your breath about things. Maybe the fact that Kevin is somewhat diplomatically trying to establish his online mag, contributes to a general sense of tentativeness and care when dealing with the subjects at hand... the pipe biz is a small community, and truthfully, some carvers deserve a little criticism (funny how the only time that happened here, someone took it personally and bolted. Oh well)
But to me, the main problem isn't being inclusive or exclusive, it's the residue of being exclusive which trips me out. I get seriously freaked out about high-end pipe people who feel obligated to look down on the Dr Grabow dudes. I mean big time. I'd rather have a $2 Dr Grabow smoker who just picked up pipes get practical information and have a good time exploring what lies ahead, than head to other forums and get jacked for even CONSIDERING buying something with a stinger, how daaare you, quick someone, get the Lysol before he infects us all, now where did I put my Bo Nordh and by the way did I tell you Brian Ruthenberg made me and my wife matching yin-yang butterfly-raspberry blast morta wood with a self-activating tamper, only cost is a second mortgage.
Man F THAT. Those of us who like high-end pieces (I'm one who does) have no business beating the Dr Grabow fans over the head about how bitchin it would be if they bought a $5000 Keichi Gotoh. They are just starting out and are into pipes - let them find their way about what styles they like. So a guy buys a $2 Willard at a yard sale, polishes it up and brags about it. Good for him! Meanwhile last year at Chicago, I bought a $350 hand-carved pipe from someone whose stuff I had been wanting to add to my collection, and he was a flaming prick. It's been almost a year and I can tell you, I'll never smoke it and I won't buy another from that dude. And by the way, the pipe sucks. Funny how that happens.
Inclusive can sometimes be cooler than being exclusive to a fault - and if exclusive is what you're in the mood for, Pipe Maker's Forum can be cool. But to me, each site is like a bar, some you like and stay, some you check out every now and then, and some you avoid. This place, to me, is like Rocky's, or Vinnie's, or something, some totally low-key place where they serve Pabst and wings and they have pool tables and a quarter jukebox with Tom T. Hall and Waylon and people smoke Dr Grabows and Willards that they polished at home. That's my type of place. Most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.