PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
What other hobbies do you have?
Aside from pipe smoking, I read a lot. Currently Pulp Science Fiction and Zombie stories on my Nook. It is pretty mindless reading which helps relax the brain after critical thinking all day at work. I also read a lot of World War II stuff and play a WWII board game called Advanced Squad Leader. So those two things plus pipe smoking/collecting pretty much takes up all my free time. I smoke cigars as well, but not with nearly the intensity of buying pipe tobacco and pipes.
Mike

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
Beer brewing, cooking, cigars, and working on cars (although not currently, apparently there is nothing to fix when you get a newer, who knew?). I like to read a lot as well, but find that I never do quite as much as I'd like. Lastly, I've taken a big interest in my health, both in eating and exercising, just wasn't happy with how I was and decided to change it; plus being in better shape will make the fire academy I'm doing this fall that much less difficult.
Joshua

ruraldean

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2012
Reading, writing (which I do for a living and for fun)and I keep snakes (colubrids).
Reading varies from Lee Child to more serious theological works. OK, mostly theological stuff. One of my short stories here: http://lefthandedscribblings.co.uk/2008/09/my-best-friend/ (private blog).
The snakes are Ruby, Coal, Kora and Willow. Just so you know.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Working, family and tring to get a better job (4 interviews in the last month and a half and no luck)... I have a interview this wednesday at a Prison Hospita, for the mentally ill inmates

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
My wife says my other hobby is watching the weather. She gets up and looks to see what I'm

doing. If I'm not getting ready to go hunting, fishing or go play golf, she says she knows

then that it's going to be lighting some time during the day.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
Aside from leather-smithing I am big time into Bushcraft and Camping. Mainly Wilderness Canoe Tripping. This year the wife and I are doing 7 nights in the French River area.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Besides pipe smoking...reading (Bible studies, health and physiology studies, fiction, primitive living), long-distance running (i.e. 10K, half-marathon, marathon), occasional woodwork, gardening, cooking, canning, sitting around at the local coffee shop, learning about coffee and tea, cigar smoking, occasional fly-tying and fly-fishing, insect collecting, traveling, hiking, collecting antiques (pocket watches, knives, etc. when I can afford it), and trying to please my wife.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Since there has been an existing thread on this which I started 2 years ago, maybe a Moderator can move this one in to it for us. The thread is actually on the same front page as this thread.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/list-your-other-hobbies-interests

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
I don't know it these are hobbies: Fishing(inshore $ offshore), surfing, and turkey hunting.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Hobie,

I think this is a good string.

It'll give us "Codgers" a chance to update what mischief we've been up to.
Lately... made another "racing" tamper from ebony a couple of weeks ago.
Brewing Mead... currently have Chocolate Cherry will be ready in November of 2014, Chocolate Habanero same as the first Nov. of 14, Japanese Apple Cinnamon, Orange Vanilla, and my specialty... Hibiscus.
Growing "Super Hots". I have Bhut Jalokia "Ghost Chilis", 7 Pot Douglah, 7 Pot Chocolate Douglah, 7 Pot Brain Strain, a couple of others and for the whimps in the family, Chocolate Habaneros. :twisted:

My Trinidad Scorpions didn't come up... :crying:
Portents of doom:

Bhut Jalokia "Ghost Chili" blossoms:

Ghost7-7-12.jpg

:puffy:

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I'm an audiophile, wine & spirits collector (I sell both for a living), film buff, cocktail geek, I collect vintage cocktail memorabilia, as well as anything that's Tiki related.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Playing drums in my band,recording other bands,some studio musician work,restoring pipes and beginning to carve pipes.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I write a bit. I'm an avid reader (especially of history). I teach professional ethics as an adjunct at UM Law School (believe me, if you saw the "stipend" check, you'd know it is a hobby). I shoot competitively.
We're about to add a member to the family -- a Weimeraner puppy -- and she will be a hobby for certain (if you mean a consuming and pleasurable interest that costs money).

thatbeetleguy

Lurker
Jul 14, 2012
Fontana, CA
I am an entomologist (aka I study insects) as a career and hobby. It allows me to do things that I like such as being out in the wilderness, traveling, enjoying nature, star gazing (when night collecting), exploring, and learning about the weird stuff in nature.
@lankfordjl: Ah! A fellow insect collector!

@ruraldean: What kind of colubrids do you own? Corns, Milks, Kings?
Other than that:

-painting/playing miniature "war games" (Warhammer 40K, Warmachine)

-drawing/sketching

-reading (mostly comic books, myths, and fantasy)

-playing role playing games (Dungeon and Dragons, Pathfinder, Star Wars Saga, Shadowrun, Champions)

-Fishing (whenever I can)

-Being a Star Wars fan

-Costume building (although haven't finished a single one of them at all :( )

-Being a collector of various things

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
i have just added painting to my list of hobbies...i just like doing SOMETHING..all the time lol. im painting a winter landscape right now or trying too...

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Along the lines of what Tslex said " (if you mean a consuming and pleasurable interest that costs money)." I will include having a wife as a hobby :rofl:

But for reals I enjoy some indoor gardening. I have a planted aquarium. I like to collect vinyl my most recents being James Taylor and Carole King. I love all kinds of music. I am an acid forum reader or as I tell my wife "a knowledge seeker." I am a career daydreamer because being a retail manager kinda sucks/don't remember what a weekend is.

Recently my biggest hobby is reading this forum and smoking my pipe! I also have a rather large collection of newborn girl's clothing, for it is quite fun to get in preparation for my first child :)

Status
Not open for further replies.