PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
I've already professed my love for Carter Hall. Today I bring you Captain Black. Again I'm amazed with this one right out of the pouch. Lights, burns, and flavorful.
I'm amazed, I would never have thought Capt Black would be worth smoking.
Im frightened by the grape. But I will try the others!!
Dethmutt

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
You've found a tobacco that you like, is inexpensive and readily available almost everywhere. What more could one ask for?
Carry on and enjoy. Don't even give a sideways glance at the inevitable negative comments you're going to get regarding your tobacco preferences.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Captain Black is not a bad blend. I smoked it for years until I found the Lane Limited equivalents. The Lane equivalents have less PG in them.

CB White is Lane RLP-6

CB Blue is Lane 1Q

CB Gold is Lane MV-1000

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I absolutely loved Captain Black, and for years it was my primary smoke. Can't abide it now, because of the chemical aftertaste I didn't used to notice. But I would still recommend it as a great Vanilla aro.
Likewise with Carter Hall, I smoke Chatham Manor as it's very close to Carter Hall, just without the chemical aftertaste.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
I liked cb white but for otc where i live it is over $8 a pouch and carter hall is just over $3

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like a number of OTC and also pouch tobaccos less known to U.S. smokers. Among OTC special favorites, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic has a nice balance with a burley base, Virginia as a condiment, and flavored with three liqueurs. If it were difficult to buy and expensive, it would be one of those unicorns. Embers put me onto Mixture No. 79, which is a joke punchline, but also as he pointed out, pretty good.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
thanks Ray for the equivalents.. Ill have to check out RLP-6 for sure!!!
mso Last time I tried SWR aro it was very chemical. But It may be time to try it again... I still have a pouch somewhere.
never tried Mix 79. Ive heard horror stories and good things.. LOL
The more I get into smoking a pipe, the more (it seems) the dimestore blends had it right to begin with..

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"Don't even give a sideways glance at the inevitable negative comments you're going to get regarding your tobacco preferences."
Good advice, there. I'm with Jesse; that chemical taste (and high moisture from the PG) is pretty off-putting. I still enjoy it once in a while, but those two things keep it from being a staple for me.
Negative comments about the tobacco you prefer are one thing. Negative comments about you preferring it should be ignored as the BS it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.