PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peterson Tobacco Ad

Search on Site

Recent Posts

dethmutt

Sep 14, 2018
I've already professed my love for Carter Hall. Today I bring you Captain Black. Again I'm amazed with this one right out of the pouch. Lights, burns, and flavorful.
I'm amazed, I would never have thought Capt Black would be worth smoking.
Im frightened by the grape. But I will try the others!!
Dethmutt

bassbug

Preferred Member
Dec 29, 2016
You've found a tobacco that you like, is inexpensive and readily available almost everywhere. What more could one ask for?
Carry on and enjoy. Don't even give a sideways glance at the inevitable negative comments you're going to get regarding your tobacco preferences.

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
Captain Black White is a favorite of mine. It has a special place for me in smoking early in the mornings with my coffee while contemplating my day.

ray47

Preferred Member
Jul 10, 2015
Captain Black is not a bad blend. I smoked it for years until I found the Lane Limited equivalents. The Lane equivalents have less PG in them.

CB White is Lane RLP-6

CB Blue is Lane 1Q

CB Gold is Lane MV-1000

ashdigger

Preferred Member
Jul 30, 2016
RLP-6 was the first blend I fell in love with. Still smoke it on occasion and it never fails to give me a pleasant smoke.

sablebrush52

Preferred Member
Jun 15, 2013
I absolutely loved Captain Black, and for years it was my primary smoke. Can't abide it now, because of the chemical aftertaste I didn't used to notice. But I would still recommend it as a great Vanilla aro.
Likewise with Carter Hall, I smoke Chatham Manor as it's very close to Carter Hall, just without the chemical aftertaste.

mechanic

Dec 1, 2018
I liked cb white but for otc where i live it is over $8 a pouch and carter hall is just over $3

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
I like a number of OTC and also pouch tobaccos less known to U.S. smokers. Among OTC special favorites, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic has a nice balance with a burley base, Virginia as a condiment, and flavored with three liqueurs. If it were difficult to buy and expensive, it would be one of those unicorns. Embers put me onto Mixture No. 79, which is a joke punchline, but also as he pointed out, pretty good.

dethmutt

Sep 14, 2018
thanks Ray for the equivalents.. Ill have to check out RLP-6 for sure!!!
mso Last time I tried SWR aro it was very chemical. But It may be time to try it again... I still have a pouch somewhere.
never tried Mix 79. Ive heard horror stories and good things.. LOL
The more I get into smoking a pipe, the more (it seems) the dimestore blends had it right to begin with..

olkofri

Preferred Member
Sep 9, 2017
The more I get into smoking a pipe, the more (it seems) the dimestore blends had it right to begin with..
Please, continue to believe this. Leaves more Gawith & Hoggarth for the rest of us. :P

aldecaker

Preferred Member
Feb 13, 2015
"Don't even give a sideways glance at the inevitable negative comments you're going to get regarding your tobacco preferences."
Good advice, there. I'm with Jesse; that chemical taste (and high moisture from the PG) is pretty off-putting. I still enjoy it once in a while, but those two things keep it from being a staple for me.
Negative comments about the tobacco you prefer are one thing. Negative comments about you preferring it should be ignored as the BS it is.