PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Well, during my last episode of TAD, I ordered some OTC pouches in my quest for an all day smoke. Only ones I’ve tried before this was Captain Black White, Royal and Dark and while they were OK, I’m not looking for an aro for an all day smoke.
Anyway, long story short I ordered Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh and Half & Half.
Not expecting much, I tried each one and was immediately struck by how good these actually smoke. Also realized I love burleys now. Yes, I know they all have a slightly sweet flavoring added but nothing like a heavy aro. Favorites are CH and PA. SWR close behind. H&H... hmmm... Not sure about that one just yet. Definitely need to try a few more bowls. Had kind of a strange pine/turpentine thing going on.
OK, you get the idea. My question is how to deal with the 14 oz tubs I’ll be ordering soon. I’m sorry if this has been asked numerous times but google search yielded nothing. Will these tobaccos be OK in the plastic tub for possibly a year or two unopened? Once I do open one of these tubs, does it need to go straight to jars or will it be OK for possibly say, 2 to 3 months? Thanks.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I've never purchased tubs of SWR or H&H, so can't comment on those. However, I can tell you that PA and CH tubs will keep your tobacco in fine shape for a ridiculously long time. They are very good quality. Since I discovered a long time ago that I prefer Prince Albert from the pouch, I have simply kept one of the tubs and empty two or three pouches into it when I run low.
So, in sum, unopened plastic tubs will be fine for a couple of years, and when you open a tub, don't worry about jarring. They seal up very well.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
SWR & Half & Half will be fine in their tubs for a year, but if I was you I'd put them in jars. CH & PA will be fine in their tubs for a very long time as aldecaker advises. Middleton tubs have a good seal. Just pump the lids about 3 times and their sealed. SWR and Half & Half lids are just plastic lids and don't seal.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
OK. Sounds good then. I was planning on only ordering CH and PA in the tubs.
Hey Aldecaker, you mentioned you preferred buying pouches and dumping them into the tub? Is there a big difference in taste regarding pouches vs tubs?
Thanks for the comments gents.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Check out PC's Home and Hearth Midtown Series which includes about five matches to traditional tub tobaccos, but many feel are done with better base tobacco and fewer preservatives, or none. Another post points out, I think, that these blends are now available in pouches, a good way to try them. One is entirely non-Aromatic, Chestnut, a take on the now discontinued Walnut, and others are matches to Carter Hall, called Chatham Manor, and a similar take on Prince Albert. These come in 14 oz. plastic tubs with screw-on lids that keep the the blends nicely for a very long time. The clincher is the tubs sell for $27.99, much less than most of the big name brands. If this is your principle smoke, I think the tubs will keep it fine for several years, at least. I think Chestnut is a fine aromatic blend -- it has about six constituent tobaccos nicely proportioned and balanced that burns evenly and well. I like several of the OTC/codger blends. SWR Regular is a little too mild for me, though the SWR Aromatic is really tasty (burley, Virginia as a condiment, and flavored with three liqueurs, but tobacco forward). Half-and-Half I find a little harsh, but I haven't smoked it in several years. At least try a pouch of Granger, a classic rough-cut Kentucky leaf, technically an aromatic, but I'd be hard put to say the flavor ... maybe a touch of anise.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"Is there a big difference in taste regarding pouches vs tubs?"
I haven't noticed it at all with CH, but Prince Albert always tastes smoother out of the pouch. I don't know why; it's not like the tub PA tastes plasticky or anything, it just has a harsher note that affects the taste.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Excellent info. Thanks much for the very informative replies.
mso489, yes I did run across the match blends and forgot about those. They did get really good reviews and it was mentioned that they do use better base tobaccos. I’ll definitely be ordering a few pouches. Thanks for the reminder.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Embers, say it isn't so! For years I thought Granger was non-aro; how could anything be more non-aro than that. Let me say that Chestnut does a superb job of passing as non-aromatic. When you get to the place where you can taste any flavoring, you have cultivated a discerning palate indeed.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I have to say, this is a good thread. I am at a point in my pipe smoking where although I love trying new blends, I have come to appreciate the codger blends. I am excited that the Hearth and Home tub tobaccos are in pouches so I can try them, because I am honestly on the hunt for that tub that will constitute an every day smoke for when I want a pipe without thinking about what tobacco to smoke. If one of these fits the bill, I'll take those over the other codger blends, and am happy to know that the tobacco stays well in the tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.