Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky Is Finally Here Again!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
I anxiously awaited the arrival of this popular flake that was discontinued by Orlik some time ago. By special arrangement, it will be available exclusively through pipesandcigars.com until early summer. After that, it will be made available to other US vendors.
There have been many reviews stating the similarities to Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake. Apparently, both flakes are produced by Orlik. I have a 200 gm tin of Heinrich's and after the arrival of DSK I compared the two. The visible appearance in every way is identical - size/thickness/texture of flake, color, the way the two different tobaccos (Va and Kentucky) are merged together producing a very nice striated pattern. The major difference to me is the tin note. Heinrich's has a strong presence of black licorice, and as I noted in my review of same, translates into the smoke. Orlik's lacks the licorice aroma. Instead, it is a brown sugar like tin note, which also translates into the smoke. I am sure the same identical leaf type is used with both variations, but it is with the casing (or top note) that separates them at first whiff. The smoking experience is slightly different as well. Heinrich's smokes a bit hotter with the licorice taste getting bitter toward the last third of the bowl and tastes a little artificial. It also has a tendency to leave the room note a bit cigarette like. All in all, still a good smoke. Orlik's DSK smokes sweeter from the get go, smokes less hot (although it can nip at the tongue if puffed too vigorously), and leaves a more pleasant room note - not cigarette like at all. I prefer the Orlik's DSK over Heinrich's hands down and am very happy it is back and available in the USA.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Great review! I bought 5 tins yesterday..."Spend More for a Bargain" !!!

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
Thanks fellas...like it so much I just placed another order for three more!

gunslinger

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2014
Thanks for giving us a heads up. I am anxiously awaiting my two tins from P&C. Maybe others that are already receiving shipments will give us their thoughts also.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds like my kind of blend. Great deal at P&C; hope they have plenty to go around.

gunslinger

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2014
mso...from P&C's website: "We've placed a large order, but it will be arriving in batches so don't be concerned if we're out from time to time." They are still showing it in stock tonight but they do have a five tin limit and a two tin limit if you do the Orlik mix and match buy three get one deal (which comes out to four tins for $20.36, not a bad deal).

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I also ordered five tins. I am glad to know this blend is back for longer than a few months. P&C's initial write-up seemed to be saying that the blend was a P&C exclusive and would only be available until this summer.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I hope they decide to bring it back for good. I hate having to drop what I'm doing the second the "Peter Heinricks is in stock" email just to score 1 tin.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
What we intended to convey is that DSK will be exclusive to P&C until May, at which point it will become available to other retailers. As long as sales are good, it will stick around.
Russ

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
Yay! I enjoy PH but
I hate having to drop what I'm doing the second the "Peter Heinricks is in stock" email just to score 1 tin.
Me, too. I also look forward to the lesser licorice -- sounds intriguing.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My 1997 Orlik Start Stong Kentucky ha no where near the amout of red's that the Heirnichs have in them are much easier to smoke than their stronger have in them. There buy leaving the question marks in them.
If you anyone has question, just feel free to ask.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
sorry guys my previous post made no sence. What I was trying to say is the older version does not have as many reds and I am ejoying it. With 10 years of age it is goinng to be sublme so hang on to it.

mdre0b

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
So is it as good as expected? I've got a tin on the way and was wondering what people thought of it?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
It is certainly as good as I expected. I think it's fabulous. I bought one tin to try it out, and it was so good straight out of the tin with no age on it I immediately ordered five more for the cellar.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Ordered 5 tins today , Smoking pipes.com hope its good. If not we'll just age it awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.