PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
Hi guys,
Just recently took up pipe smoking and have tried a few blend among them Orlik's golden sliced and mississipi river. I much prefer the golden sliced in spite of the hype around the river (am I normal?). Just wondering what other blends are similar to the golden sliced? I liked the tin note and the citrus/orangy hints. packing is the only issue with the flake tobacco :/
Thanks
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles.

Thank you Robert.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Rub out the OGS - put a flake in your palm, ball it up and rub it around, it turns to ribbon for easy packing and lighting. Member "Brass" showed me this last year, it make smoking flakes much more enjoyable. I'm a big fan of OGS and I haven't found anything quite like it.

Reactions: Man Myth Legend

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I much prefer the golden sliced in spite of the hype around the river (am I normal?)

Indeed you are, one is a straight Virginia with a touch of perique, the other is a totally different blend. Believe it or not some people spend their whole lives searching for Penzance and Stonehaven, finally get some, then discover they don't like it either.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Sounds like your going to be a flake / virgina guy at this moment in you pipe smoking journey. Look for VaPer type tobacco. Sixpence, Escudo .. Try some Rattays Marlin flake it's a sweet virgina you my like that .. Flake tobacco for me was a game changer that all I smoke now love that stuff,, Like Kake style as well

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I got Newminster Superior Navy Flake as a sample a little while ago and it impressed me as a nice mild Virginia Flake. The price is right too, might be worth a try for you.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Newminster Superior Navy Flake
+1 for this one.
Here's a few more off the top of my head:
Capstan

Klondike Gold

Reiner's Long Golden Flake

Dunhill Flake

J.A. Luxury Flake

Escudo

PS LTF / LBF

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If you really liked Orlik Golden Sliced then you might enjoy these blends.
Sail (Orlik) - Natural

Orlik - Club Mixture

Peter Stokkebye - Navy Flake

Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Bullseye Flake

Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Twist Flake

AC Peterson - Escudo Navy De Luxe

Davidoff - Flake Medallions

Dan Tobacco - Patriot Flake

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
OGS or simply Red Orlik , as it is called in Denmark, is a religious blend. After trying tons of blends,englishes,vapers, you name it, I always come back to it. It is a true classic. Nothing like it.( Funny, that's what I am smoking on the photo you see )

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
+1, Redpanda. I solved the question of "what is like OGS" by just buying and cellaring a ridiculous amount of it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here are some of my favorite flakes.
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virgina Plug

Capstan Blue Flake

Dunhill Flake

Rotary Navy Cut

Astleys 109 and 44

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
I've even tried the frog morton original and balkan blue but still prefer OGS! Other recommendation someone gave me was Old Gowrie. Does cellaring improve the flavour? How long should I cellar for? You know what's surprising, out of all I've tried, this is the cheapest! I hope there aren't any nasty additives in it like cigarettes or cheap tobacco! Since it's cheap I could cellar a few of these cans

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Aging virginia flakes such as OGS improves the blend significantly. After 10 years it is nothing like the fresh version but in a good way.
Old Gowrie is a blend that contains Perique and Kentucky tobacco along with red virginia's. It is a real tasty blend but nothing similar to OGS. This site is the best for finding out what is in a blend and many of the reviews can be helpful.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I've even tried the frog morton original and balkan blue but still prefer OGS!
Then stick with it. There's no need to be branching out like crazy, if you've found something you really like, stock up. There's no need to be buying all these different tobacco's and finding out you still prefer OGS which is a really cheap flake to fall in love with. You may want to try erinmore for another citrusy like value priced flake.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
+1 PS Luxury Navy Flake is no OGS but it's mighty good and available in bulk

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://www.cupojoes.com/cup-o-joes-6-skookum-1-75-oz-tin-buy-1-get-1-free/ This sounds like what you're looking for, and it's buy one get one free at 7.95 a 50 gram tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.