Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
Ok guys, I just tried a sample of Rattray's Old Gowrie and it's quite delicious.... :D not similar to OGS at all but it's something I have also liked...it's like naturally sweet oats and mellow.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Davedan said "Ok guys, I just tried a sample of Rattray's Old Gowrie and it's quite delicious.... :D not similar to OGS at all but it's something I have also liked...it's like naturally sweet oats and mellow."
Try it with 5 to 15 yrs of age. Its divine.
Mike S.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
OGS is in my top 10 also. I was going to recommend Old Gowrie, not similar in taste but very similar in experience (if that makes sense). Here's a few that haven't been mentioned yet that deliver sweet, smooth natural tobacco with honey and fresh hay overtones in a flake tobacco:
1. Butera Royal Vintage Golden Cake

2. Erik Stokkebye 4th Gen 1855

3. MacBaren Virginia #1 (cheap in bulk, and can bite if not careful)

4. Samuel Gawith Golden Glow
Jeff

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
OGS is good and OGS is good-and-cheap! Your wallet will thank you for it being your favorite. At regular prices, the round 100 g tins are a little better deal. But the big online stores run specials on the 50g square tins every now and then. Buy a few now but save your major cellaring spree for a sale. Same rec for Dunhill flake. It's on sale even more often!

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
This thread inspired me to rub out a couple of those golden slices and fire them up. They're attractive, delicious, and well-priced.
OGS was my first flake and first tinned tobacco after messing around with mostly aromatics at first. I think that's a common experience, but unlike some popular "beginner blends," people don't seem to grow out of OGS. Tastes expad, but at least among the smokers I know, OGS seems to remain a favorite.

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
@danhester have you also tried Old Gowrie? I'm not sure which one is my favorite at this point although I reckon OGS may win by a hair's breadth. they're both very different but experience is the same. Gowrie taught me how to smoke a pipe properly; from packing to tamping and relighting. OGS is a little harder when it comes to packing. I wonder what would happen if I mixed the two in a bowl :laughat: anybody tried this? should be an interesting experience. The next one on my list is frog morton across the pond..

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Dave, I know this suggestion is from the same company but try Orlik Racing Green. It's a bit stronger on the Bergamot flavoring that is used for Golden Sliced. It doesn't have perique but includes a dash of cavendish and burley. It will ghost a pipe but Not bad. Nothing that Golden Sliced and Carter Hall can't handle.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
@danhester have you also tried Old Gowrie? I'm not sure which one is my favorite at this point although I reckon OGS may win by a hair's breadth. they're both very different but experience is the same.
I have not. After trying OGS, I kind of went Balkan crazy for a bit, and haven't done as much exploring into Virginias. Old Gowrie is definitely on my list though, along with Hal O' the Wynd.

Status
Not open for further replies.