PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Summary: a sweet blend with a vanilla top note that brings out sugary and chocolate notes in the leaf.
For all that has been written about this blend, and its depth of flavor and the taste challenges posed by the dark fired leaf, forget it: this blend is ice cream. To the sweet Virginias and dark-fired Burley the blenders added vanilla, which makes the sweet taste like vanilla ice cream and the dark take on a chocolatey tone. It burns easily but moist, has some bite from the Virginias, but mostly is a sweet puffing smoke that like Carter Hall or Prince Albert, evokes your favorite dessert flavors more than strong tobacco tastes. As a result, this is a good blend for new smokers, junk food addicts or children.
Similar Blends: Prince Albert - Prince Albert, John Middleton, Inc - Carter Hall, Orlik Tobacco Company A/S - Golden Sliced (Red).
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/827#review83641
Tasty ice cream. But, very simple. Might go for some Carter Hall next.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Well dang ... I grabbed a few tins because of the comparison to Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake.
This does not sound promising! 8O

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This does not sound promising!
Old Perl programmer lingo: YMMV, "your mileage may vary."
It brings to mind the row of jars full of Lane blends and a tobacconist scooping out balls of sweet flavored tobacco into waffle cones.
That's a great mental image. Come to think of it, the names of many aromatic blends remind me of ice cream. Nougat, etc.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I've got two tins, looks like it will go great in a cob. Does it leave a phantom behind?

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
It is quite sweet and that lasts well into the bowl. I couldn't quite put my finger on the flavor but now that you mention Vanilla that sound about right. I don't usually smoke heavily flavored tobaccos but it's a nice change every once in a while. Coffee and DSK go well together on a summer evening when you're looking for something lighter. But you're quite right, neither dark nor strong. I put a couple of tins aside to see if the sweetness subsides with a little age. It's not an unpleasant blend, just not what I expected given the name.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah I thought this was a powerhouse tobacco by the name, kind of like ODF or something along those lines. Thanks for the review

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
The tin aroma to me is of molasses & faintly of licorice, slightly reminiscent of Jaegermeister, which carries over into the smoke, & to the bottom of the bowl. I don't detect any vanilla flavor.

I smoke it folded with an air pocket in a MM General while working outside. No fuss, no bite. Holds its flavor with DGT relighting.

Though I am not an aromatic smoker, this is one of the few that I enjoy regularly.

licorice? Jaegermeister? Just for clarification, you are talking about this one...

pt-orf00550.png

I was thinking that it had a very honey-like flavor, but I was willing to agree with vanilla. But, licorice... I really need to eat a little licorice again. It's been almost fifty years since I have tasted it. But, I remember it being very minty in a nasty sort of way.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I pick up the molasses note, but no licorice at all.
EDIT: It's not super dark, not overly strong, but I don't see it as much of an aromatic.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
really need to eat a little licorice again. It's been almost fifty years since I have tasted it.
WHAT!?!? 8O .... this is the only candy/sweets that I truly enjoy and always have on hand in the candy dish at home. It helps Im the only one in the house that likes it so no one ever eats it away :D

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Yes, Cosmic, I was describing my impression of Orlick's Dark Strong Kentucky (the one with the Judge that looks like an old granny with a pipe).

Must be my nose & taster. Like I said, "faint" & slightly" - very subtle to me.

And like @captainprophesy, I am the only one at my house that enjoys licorice; especially the Australian-style with molasses & natural licorice flavor.

I also find Jaegermeister to be a good cough syrup (which is my only use for it)

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Upon further reflection, I wonder if elevation affects the aroma & taste of pipe tobacco (or anything else).

I live at 8100' elevation where the absolute barometric pressure is about 560 mmHg (~ 22" Hg; absolute atmospheric pressure is 75 kPa) which reduces the vapor pressure of the volatile compounds contributing to taste. (Water boils here at about 195-197 F)

I know that temperature & relative humidity affects aroma & taste as both are deeper & richer when it is cool & humid outside, especially when we are shrouded in low clouds.

Since its been almost 40 years since I smoked a pipe at sea level, I do not have a good point of reference. I should try rectify this during my next trip to visit my family in MD - try several genres of tobaccos to compare the aromas & flavors at both elevations.

Status
Not open for further replies.