PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
@perdurabo: I have several unopened tins of Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake, so I cannot tell you how it compares to Orlick's DSK.
Tobacco Reviews may help:

www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1809/peter-heinrichs-dark-strong-flake

www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/827/orlik-tobacco-company-a-s-dark-strong-kentucky
(Several reviewers mention licorice & molasses to various degrees in both blends).

cmclark

Lurker
Mar 15, 2014
This was my first non-aro Virginia and I didn't know what to expect so I was a bit intimidated from first bowl. Not bad I liked it. Half a tin later I decide to look for something with more punch and kick to it, maybe a little less "vanilla for kids" and a little more like "scotch for men" if anyone has suggestions Virginia wise.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
cobguy, Take heart. I found this blend savory rather than sweet. My experience is unlike anything reported here. I do not regret my decision to cellar about a pound of the stuff.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Upon further reflection, I wonder if elevation affects the aroma & taste of pipe tobacco (or anything else).
I wonder about this too. I know humidity does, which is why I've saved this blend for re-sample on a dry day.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
My critique is that it is neither strong nor dark, but a nice aromatic.
Just found some that I jarred back in May. I must not have been overly impressed as I never ordered anymore but I agree with your take on it, pleasant enough smoke, might be the ageing has improved it somewhat.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I've saved this blend for re-sample on a dry day.
My first bowl of DSK was enjoyed on a humid summer day. I have smoked this blend in all kinds of weather, and my experiences are all night-and-day to what others are describing here. I have to wonder if at least some of the differences are due to ghosts. I have dedicated a Tanganyika meerschaum to DSK.

firehosen

Lurker
Dec 12, 2015
I have a tin on the way right now. Was thinking it would be like the Dark Strong, but now I'm intrigued. Well, I like vanilla so even if it's not what I had in mind, I guess I'll like it.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I really do enjoy this flake on occasion. My tin has been open since September, though I have two bowls left!

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I just opened a tin last night and it wasn't what I expected but I am pleasantly surprised. I smelled brown sugar in the tin and there is a nice sweetness with the smoke, rather vanilla-like as mentioned but nowhere near overwhelming. I'll be ordering more.

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
DSK is not a bad tobacco but I must say it took me by surprise. Like Cosmic said, it is neither dark or strong. From the name, I had imagined something that would have the look and feel of Full Virginia Flake and have a flavor profile somewhat similar to G&H Kendal Kentucky but even darker with savory earthy pure tobacco notes. I bought 2 tins just to try because I was sure I would love it. When I cracked the first tin I got a big surprise... It is very fragrant, but a strong smell of vanilla/molasses/licorice/anise. I didn't get hit by the nicotine at all and I'm a lightweight in that department. To me, this is an aromatic tobacco. Although I would put it in the quality aromatic category given the taste and the quality components. This is a perfumed lady disguised under the costume of a medieval era hunter. Do I like the tobacco? Yes. Would I buy it again? No.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dark Strong Kentucky is a little misleading. I have an unopened tin, and this will not hurry breaking its seal. I too thought it was more in the Old Dark Fired genre, but I will eventually give it a try. Aros can be a good change of pace, when they don't induce chemical burn from burning the flavorings.

firehosen

Lurker
Dec 12, 2015
So my own mileage report after having my order arrive and giving this some trying time:
I enjoyed it immensely. But classifying it would be a challenge.
I found the components to be in harmony. A Very nice Orlik style tobacco was the star; think darker golden sliced if that makes any sense. The sweetness was there but in a way I found to be pleasing, not overpowering. Even if the flavor was added, it tasted to me like a very natural sweetness, like a dark brown sugar or molasses type thing as a few have mentioned. There is absolutely in no way at all any sort of artificial or chemical taste here. As far as the licorice, I really only noticed it when testing the draw prior to lighting. And as the bowl progresses, the sweetness begins to give way to a stronger, more robust smoke.
Was it along the same lines as Old Dark Fired or a similar deep and earthy type of blend? No. But you most certainly don't need to be in the mood for an aromatic to enjoy this one. And if you did want a full on aromatic, it might not be what you were after. Same deal as if you thought you were getting coffee ice cream but someone gave you a cup of coffee with a spoon of sugar in it.
Conclusion? I think I''m going to be enjoying this one for a long time. Whatever it is.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
To me, this is an aromatic tobacco.
This is why I use "aromatic" in the vernacular... blends with a taste profile like candy, soda, air fresheners or fast food fits in this category. The usual over-sweetened, over-salted and simplified flavor profile that pleases a crowd but for whatever reason, excludes me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dark Strong Kentucky doesn't say aromatic to me in any way, nor licorice. It's good when a blend's name suggests its flavor, or at least doesn't mislead.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The division on this one is quite intriguing!
With no business opening another tin, it's exactly what I'm going to do tonight. :crazy:
As I've said ... my order was based upon it's comparison to PH DSF and I'll be disappointed if it's more "aro" than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.