PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Got a new Orlik, has the inner tube, stem is stuck tight as fuck. Tried the freezer trick, any suggestions really nice pipe

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
This pipe is NEW as in never used, I'm sure the stem hasn't been removed ever, and it's a Lucite stem or plastic whatever

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Sometimes after a good couple bowls back to back, my stems get loose. Only after drying completely do they tighten back up.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
I need to get it unscrewed to remove the inner tube and clean the pipe first

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
I like to give a pipe that's been who knows where for 60 years a very thorough cleaning before putting it my mouth. More thorough than can be done without removing it. It also stuck with the stem at an angle now

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Yea.....
It seems the stem being stuck has to do with the inner tube. Does anyone have experience with a stuck aluminum tube pipe? Perhaps a Dunhill or Punto Oro or another Orlik?

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
I could've have given it a surface cleaning and tried to smoke it to loosen it up but the stem is stuck cockeyed

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
jp thank you for the suggestion. Is it safe for the briar? I always avoid getting briar to wet aside from the rain. What do you think the hot water will do? Any other methods besides the pencil which I don't think would do anything here

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, water is completely safe for briar unless there's a crack or fissure. And of course, no soaking! Hopefully the heat and moisture will loosen the hold. Good luck!

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Organic substances will not, for the most part, dissolve in H2O. But they will dissolve in EtOH. Balsam, resins, saps, sugars, esters, etc. will readily dissolve in EtOH. A possible issue is that some sap/resin/oils leached out over time and are acting as a light glue, holding the tube and stem together with the shank. Maybe. Adding the grain may be enough to dissolve the "glue" enough to loosen its grip. My 2 nos Dublins have a tube and were stuck. Alcohol worked a charm but ymmv and it may be a waste of time. Is there a possible downside to adding the alcohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.