PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
About a month ago I finally had the opportunity to realize one of my dreams as a collector of old UK pipes. These three beautiful Rattray's pipes, original shop-branded from the shop in Perth, Scotland, appeared on eBay. These don't make too many appearances--the last time I saw one was perhaps a year and a half ago, and I missed out on the opportunity. For almost 20 months I'd been scanning the internet, hoping that one of these beauties would make an appearance. Although two of them are smaller than I generally prefer, the grain on them is excellent. It brings me lots of joy just looking at them, let alone smoking them, so I thought I'd share the photos. Cheers!
-greeneyes (hope the photos posted correctly--if not I'll spend the next half hour editing this post)
39573092cde85da5f17143624a2d5009d1ab2316a67dd328b61f86c4d0bb2611ee7b5214.jpg

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Great looking pipes, I love the original Rattray items. I have a beautiful unsmoked shop pipe, a small Lovat as well as a John Cotton small Lovat shop pipe (those Scottish tobacconists loved their Lovats). Have you ever run across any information on who supplied Rattray? I've never really found any information on that.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I have an unsmoked medium zulu shaped pipe stamped Rattray Perth & naturel. I think it was made by John Redman.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Thanks! I'm unsure who might have manufactured the pipes. Only the small lovat has a shape number and the stampings don't suggest any particular script that was typical of a certain pipemaker (that I'm aware of). Another thing is that there isn't much of a history available about original Rattray's pipes, so I'm entirely unsure what age they might be. I know there is at least one Rattray's pipe catalog out there. There's just so few pipes out there and such scant documentation that it makes it difficult to draw any reliable conclusions.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Yes I have that catalog, very interesting. I guess with family operations like Rattray's the secret went to the grave unless someone has the firms papers. I had not heard Redman, but looking at it and some of their examples, it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.